Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Can i run a light from a receptacle?

im installing a light in my shower stall and was wondering if i can get the power from a recepticle and run it to a switch and then to the light?
thanks in advance

Petrafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2

Yes. To clarify, you can use the power to the receptacle as the source to install the wiring for the light. You can't just plug it into the receptacle. You probably knew that, but people around here keep trying to do that...

mpoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

ya i wasnt going to plug it in lol thanks for the quick reply
Petrafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrafire View Post
im installing a light in my shower stall and was wondering if i can get the power from a receptacle and run it to a switch and then to the light?
thanks in advance
You will have to use a GFCI outlet or breaker to protect it. That means that the light will be on a 20 amp circuit, and wired with #12 Romex.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:31 AM   #5
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You will have to use a GFCI outlet or breaker to protect it. That means that the light will be on a 20 amp circuit, and wired with #12 Romex.
The NEC does not require GFCI for shower lights (unless something changed in the new edition). Some shower lights are required by the manufacturer to be GFCI protected (in which case the NEC requires that you do it), but many manufacturers do not require it. Fan/light combos almost always do, but recessed can lights usually don't.

With that said, put the darn thing on a GFCI regardless of what's required! It's just a good idea. If you're wiring it from an existing bathroom receptacle anyway, that receptacle should already be a GFCI device. Wire it from the load side of that GFCI and you're all set.
mpoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 94

That is how I look at it. Why risk a shock around water & electricity. As for what you stated about it not required, what stops some Bubba from reaching up and touching the light, while standing in the shower. And good thing we do no have "suicide" showers here in the U.S. It is amazing that other countries can have the inline water heaters for a shower head, but not require a gfci protected circuit.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote