Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Can I run electrical wire BEHIND my basement walls?

I am currently in Colorado, and finishing my basement. Due to expansive soils, floating walls are required. The builder put insulation on the walls in the basement, I decided to keep it there behind the floating walls. The walls are about 2.5-3" away from the concrete but with 2-3" of insulation behind them.

I will be done studding out my walls in a few weeks and was planning my outlets and things and came across a thought. Typically you have to feed the wires through holes drilled in the studs to prevent puncture from the outside on either side. With my setup, 95%of the walls border concrete with plenty of space to run the wire BEHIND the walls and just attached them to the BACK of the studs. Obviously on the independent walls I will have to drill and feed the wires. But on the outer walls, since nothing can puncture through from the concrete wall in any way, am I allowed to just run the electric wire BEHIND everything and save myself from drilling 100 holes in those studs to add my outlets and switches?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Ryan

GoBengals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I attached a photo of one wall, you can see some speaker and coax wires dangling behind it already. those are actually for the upper floor, but you can see what I am getting at with the floating walls.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Can I run electrical wire BEHIND my basement walls?-2.jpg  

GoBengals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I dont like doing it it looks a little hack. However i have done it and the inspectors never gave me an issue but make sure it is still secured to the studs.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,064

How are you going to get a tool between the walls to attach the cable to the back of the studs? Boring a few holes just might be easier.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk
How are you going to get a tool between the walls to attach the cable to the back of the studs? Boring a few holes just might be easier.
Put a staple near the back of the stud and zip tie it.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 502

Just drill the holes and run through the studs already. As previously mentioned, all the wiring has to be secured every so many feet. It will probably take longer to do that than the job you are trying to avoid in the first place.

Why the gap betweeen the studs and walls? Uneven walls?

B
Beepster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Just drill the holes and run through the studs already. As previously mentioned, all the wiring has to be secured every so many feet. It will probably take longer to do that than the job you are trying to avoid in the first place.

Why the gap betweeen the studs and walls? Uneven walls?

B
The gap has to be there to allow the outside wall to breathe. Without it, and insulation pushed up, you get mold and mildew.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,114

Romex has to be supported every 4.5 feet, so drill every other stud and be done.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

No code violation doing as you plan as long the wiring is secured as indicated. Somewhat OT but what kind of insulation is that up against the concrete walls? Hopefully not open faced fiberglass.

kwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote