Can I Continue A Circuit After 3-way Switch? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 282

Can I continue a circuit after 3-way switch?

Ok, heres the deal. I need to start by controlling 6 recessed cans on a 3-way switch, then go to a single pole switch that controls 6 more recessed cans. How do I do it? Currently the power is coming into one of the 3-way switches boxes.

I can find plenty of diagrams for wiring the 3-way switch(controlling 6 cans) if it was the end of the circuit, but I cant figure out how to power the second switched set of lights.

Advertisement

tigerbalm2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

are you sure you are not overloading this circuit? your adding nearly 400 watts if using 65 watt bulbs.see what else is on this circuit before you do it.

from the switch box where the incoming power is located pull a feed to the single pole switch .in the switch box locate the hot wire make a pigtail with the black feed to single pole,the hot,and a 6" jumper back to the 3-way switch.(if the hot wasnt on the switch you want need the 6" jumper just put the blk feed in wire nut with the hot wire) hook the white feed to the white incoming power (neutral)connect the ground wire.at the single pole pull another cable to first lite.tie the 2 white wires together put blacks on the switch. good luck

Advertisement

GREGNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Currently the power is coming into one of the 3-way switches boxes.
Take the power from that location to your new switch box. From there run the wiring up to and between the lights.

If there is power closer, say an receptical, you can pull it from there.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
Take the power from that location to your new switch box. From there run the wiring up to and between the lights.

If there is power closer, say an receptical, you can pull it from there.
Ok, thats makes sense.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGNC View Post
are you sure you are not overloading this circuit? your adding nearly 400 watts if using 65 watt bulbs.see what else is on this circuit before you do it.
Im putting 12 cans in the circuit, replacing currently 4 60 watt incandescents. The cans will use 13 or 23 watt fluorescents. 23 watt bulbs puts me at 276 versus the current 240. Im going to call it a wash.

If this is an incorrect assumption, please let me know now!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:26 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,318

You rate the cans and circuit for the max wattage lamp the can holds, not what you are installing.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
You rate the cans and circuit for the max wattage lamp the can holds, not what you are installing.
Thats interesting. Im learning so bear with me. Why would it be done this way? For instance on outlets, I have always heard that it doesnt really matter how many outlets you put on a circuit(suggested 12 max) but what you intend to use them for. I guess I dont understand why it would be any different for lights. If I designed my circuits using this criteria for outlets I would have a max of one outlet on each circuit since the max wattage I could put through the outlet would consume all 1500W or a complete 15A circuit. Please explain, im a rookie!

Regardless, 60Watt bulbs or 720 Watts to this circuit wont harm it.

Last edited by tigerbalm2424; 01-09-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm2424 View Post
Thats interesting. Im learning so bear with me. Why would it be done this way? For instance on outlets, I have always heard that it doesnt really matter how many outlets you put on a circuit(suggested 12 max) but what you intend to use them for. I guess I dont understand why it would be any different for lights. If I designed my circuits using this criteria for outlets I would have a max of one outlet on each circuit since the max wattage I could put through the outlet would consume all 1500W or a complete 15A circuit. Please explain, im a rookie!

Regardless, 60Watt bulbs or 720 Watts to this circuit wont harm it.
When outlets are spaced properly, it's not likely anyone would ever plug 1500 watts into each, and use each item plugged in simultaniously. Thus, the 3 watts per sq. ft for receptacle load was achieved.

For lights, you might love the 13 watt flourescents, but the next HO might prefer using a 75 watt par lamp, and will try. Therefore, if your cans are rated for 75 watts, 17 would be the maximum on one 15a circuit.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
When outlets are spaced properly, it's not likely anyone would ever plug 1500 watts into each, and use each item plugged in simultaniously. Thus, the 3 watts per sq. ft for receptacle load was achieved.

For lights, you might love the 13 watt flourescents, but the next HO might prefer using a 75 watt par lamp, and will try. Therefore, if your cans are rated for 75 watts, 17 would be the maximum on one 15a circuit.
I guess I view it differently. People do/will plug in a 1500 watt electric heater into an outlet with other outlets consuming power. I have seen them pop breakers plenty of time(i've seen people plug in two 1500 watt heaters into two separate outlets on the same circuit). What happens? People think....adjust their loads...and problem is fixed. Same for lights, if they pop a breaker due to installing a lighting arragement that pops a breaker, they think, adjust wattage, and problem is fixed. Not trying to start a debate, just trying to show that if you think about ANY sort of wiring arrangement, the next HO can figure out a way to pop a breaker.

I guess im not going to worry about the "likelihood" that the next home owner will be an idiot. Thats why we have breakers!

Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited by tigerbalm2424; 01-09-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #10
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Rewards Points: 250

Another thought- lights often come on at the same time (switched) whereas outlets are not often used all at the same time. The purpose for multi outlets in a circuit is also for safety. Much safer to have short appliance cords plugged directly into outlets than have cheapo extension cords (fire hazards, trip hazards) or triple taps used to excess.

Advertisement

handyman78 is offline   Reply With Quote