Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #1

Share |

Can I comply with code in this situation?

The armored cable coming out of the center rear knock out is for a new exhaust fan switch.

I can't get the gang box ( which is nailed to the stud ) out of the wall without destroying the tiles. I know they are not pretty but we are not there right now.

It is my understanding that this new armored cable needs to be fixed to the gang box in some fashion, typically a BX clamp, or whatever. Without being able to get behind the box, is there a way to do this and comply with code??

The plan is to use one of those double switches that only take up 1 switch place, so that I can turn on the lights, and exhaust fan separately.

If it helps, I can change this to NM with relatively little effort... I would try to get the armored cable through the top right BX hold, like the old wire on the left, but I would have to be a magician to get it in there. You electricians probably have some magic tricks of the trade to do it. I couldn't even get the top right BX knock out knocked out !!!

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I comply with code in this situation?-img_1267.jpg  

Last edited by pcampbell; 11-14-2008 at 04:06 PM.
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #2

Are you sure you can't remove the box?

I can't see from the pic but that type of box os typically nailed on thru the box. Angled dikes will pull them out.

NM is much easier to work with.

You should be able to push the top KO out with a long skiny screwdriver.

Be careful not to bamage the wires at the end of the sheath. The old stuff is very crumbly and makes a nice heating element.

Last edited by 220/221; 11-14-2008 at 04:43 PM.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #3

If you can remove the nail and remove the box, when re-installing the box, you can attach it to the stud with a drywall screw.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #4

Even though this is armored cable, you cant use the older one (fabric) as a ground path, no bond strip exists. And you must use anti short bushings with the new bx.

You can try to get the knockout by using a long screw driver, or you could try to get the nails out and use a metal old work box or a metal box screwed into the joist...old work box might be easier.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Try and see if one of these will work. They are called close quarter hacksaws get it between the stud and the box and cut the nail off.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #6

This box has a very sturdy tab that goes over the face of the stud and 3 nails hold it to the face of the stud. All of the boxes in the house are like that and I've removed a few but it requires taking out the wall that covers the stud.

The new line has a separate green so it will get a ground directly from the new line I run to a junction box in the attic where it will then go to the fan.

I tried knocking out the other BX knock out (top right) and ended up breaking a screwdriver in the process. It is not easy like a new box??? I haven't tried using a punch and just hammering the heck out of it. Trying not to knock so much debris around!!!

Even if I get that knock out out, to get the new armored cable into that hole will be very tricky. But if that is my only way to comply with code then that is what I am going to have to do.

I thought you guys might have some sneaky cable clamp that civilians were generally unaware of. I really only ran the armored stuff originally because I thought i'd be able to use that BX clamp via the hole I'm having a hard time knocking out (was not sure if I am allowed to use NM cable in that style of clamp). I will use NM from the junction box in the attic to the fan.

Yeah this stuff does not hold up very well. One bend in it that is too tight and you have bare wires at the apex. Slowly but surely eliminating it but it is tough with a finished basement, and an attic with a full floor.

Is there some other kind of clamp for NM that would be legit? I could replace the BX and put 2 new NM lines through the existing punched out hole.

Thanks...

Last edited by pcampbell; 11-14-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
I could replace the BX and put 2 new NM lines through the existing punched out hole.
Do that......... but use a 3 wire NM.

Black = light
Red = fan
wht = hot
Bare = ground (find one)

You could also put the connector on the AC first, before you pushed the cable down the wall, then install the locknut from inside. NM = way easier.

PS. I had the same black/pink tile in my kitchen circa 1949. It's actually still very fashionable.

Last edited by 220/221; 11-14-2008 at 06:13 PM.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #8

Thanks OK - but is the clamp seen here acceptable for NM?

If i had only checked here before I fished all of this wire down the wall, would have saved myself a lot of time. Duh!!! Thanks again.

Last edited by pcampbell; 11-14-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
UAW SKILLED TRADES

I agree with 220/221... get a nonmetallic nm snap in clamp. Get the 3 wire cable thru the knockout put the clamp on the cable and snap it into the knockout hole. If can pull the armor out and leave one wire use it to pull your nm to the knockout hole. Or attach a pull string to the cable before you pull the armor cable out.

Last edited by Stubbie; 11-14-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcampbell View Post
....Is there some other kind of clamp for NM that would be legit?.....
Yeah, look for a RACO Insider connector, which can be installed from the inside of an existing box. Rated for up to 2 cables, sounds like just what you need for this project:

kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:32 AM   #11

thanks so much guys.