Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Can I build new PC on top of gysum board instead of floor

I am about to build a new PC tomorrow and I have no floor to build upon on since its carpeted every where [except kitchen and bathroom].

Therefore, to avoid static, is it okay to put together everything for the PC [mobo, cpu, HD, psu, etc] on top of a tough rock gysum board which are:

http://www.gp.com/build/productgroup.aspx?pid=1490

http://products.construction.com/Man...ard-NST14478-P

So, this board won't product static to disturb the build right?

baby327nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

You are saying that you do not even have a kitchen table, or coffee table. Just go to the local hardware store and get a 4x4 sheet of plywood, or 3x3 sheet of linoleum scrap.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You are saying that you do not even have a kitchen table, or coffee table. Just go to the local hardware store and get a 4x4 sheet of plywood, or 3x3 sheet of linoleum scrap.
I live alone so no need for kitchen/coffee table and I just moved to my new place. So, do you mean to say the gysum board is not fine to build PC on top of?
Old 10-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,498

Use an anti static wrist strap.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby327nd View Post
I live alone so no need for kitchen/coffee table and I just moved to my new place. So, do you mean to say the gysum board is not fine to build PC on top of?
For one, get a static strap for your wrist; they are available at Radio Shack. The idea is to avoid static build-up, both within yourself and the on the work surface. I have a static mat that attaches to the ground strap which then attaches to my wrist strap.
Gypsum board has a paper coating so it has the potential to build up static so I'd think a piece of smooth plywood would be better.
Proper handling of parts is the key. Using a static strap and keeping your hand or forearm on the plywood while working will reduce most potential.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,310

Gysum board is NOT conductive. If you want an anti-static surface...that is not it.

Do you have a local Fry's in your area? If so, go there...get an anti-static mat....and put it on what ever surface you want. If you can't do that...then lay down some foil....just keep power cords away until your done.

Depending on your motherboard...the anti-static bag it comes in might be big enough to work as your anti-static mat.

Do you have an anti-static wrist strap?

Or....just buy a computer from HP or Dell....

One last thing....the carpet is the worst place to do it....find a section of floor without carpet.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Gysum board is NOT conductive. If you want an anti-static surface...that is not it.

Do you have a local Fry's in your area? If so, go there...get an anti-static mat....and put it on what ever surface you want. If you can't do that...then lay down some foil....just keep power cords away until your done.

Depending on your motherboard...the anti-static bag it comes in might be big enough to work as your anti-static mat.

Do you have an anti-static wrist strap?

Or....just buy a computer from HP or Dell....

One last thing....the carpet is the worst place to do it....find a section of floor without carpet.
No local fry. Don't have time and do not want to spend $ for anti-static strap. Already bought PC parts to build which will arrive today.

Also, can I use working gloves [not winter gloves]? And just build in on the kitchen floor [does not have a carpet] or in the bath tub [has no water residue and is clean]?

Last edited by baby327nd; 10-06-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
I=E/R

Have fun
Handling the parts properly will be important. Avoid touching any of the pins on the processor. Same with memory. Handle board by their edges. Set the case on the floor and neutralize any charge by having contact with the case as you remove parts from their static boxes or bags.
Don't wear gloves.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
Have fun
Handling the parts properly will be important. Avoid touching any of the pins on the processor. Same with memory. Handle board by their edges. Set the case on the floor and neutralize any charge by having contact with the case as you remove parts from their static boxes or bags.
Don't wear gloves.
I keep hearing "ground yourself" but what does that mean?

Also, is it possible to build on roof of a manufactured house like this one [I am being totally serious]:

http://www.inspectapedia.com/roof/Mo...es566DFSVs.jpg
Old 10-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
I=E/R

Quote:
I keep hearing "ground yourself" but what does that mean?
Most people don't understand the electrical term of grounding and/or bonding.

Grounding, by itself, isn't the problem you face. The problem is to keep all the parts at equal potential so there is no current flow.
Also, connecting yourself directly to ground is a severe safety hazard. A static wrist strap has a resistor, something like 2.2 meg ohms, in series with the wire so you won't get shocked if you happen to come in contact with a live wire. Of course, that assumes the rest of your body is isolated too.
I=120/2200000=0.05 ma
Stay off the roof and use the floor.
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (10-06-2011)
Old 10-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,010

A7E is right - this is a bonding issue, not grounding. You need to avoid the buildup of a static potential BETWEEN you and the parts, and between the parts themselves. I've built more than one PC on carpeted dorm room floors, with no mat or wrist strap, and I've never had a problem. I use the antistatic bag from the mobo as a work surface, and always make sure to touch it and any part you're picking up at the same time. It's not that big of a deal.

Drywall can be a good work surface for many types of projects, and it actually is pretty good for electronics. It is antistatic. Paper will not build a charge, and the gypsum is very slightly conductive due to its water content so it dissipates charge easily, but doesn't conduct enough to screw up the operation of circuits sitting on it. Unless it's high voltage, in which case you'll find out how conductive gypsum is.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
Is this wire Hot?

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Dude (or Dudette), you have no furniture and you are building a computer?

Doesn't this sound strange to anyone else? You aren't shopping for fertilizer and kerosene too, are you?

You would buy a sheet of drywall, but won't buy a 99 cent wrist strap? I guess it's the bathtub for you then.....
Oh-Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

just set up shop on your kitchen floor or kitchen counter, won't that work for you?

if nothing else then at a minimum at least find a big piece of cardboard or something to set up on. Not great but at least you don't have as much static build up as with carpet.
mnliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 502

I think you're way over thinking this. I have built a number of PCs in some seriously adverse locations, including on carpet, though I don't recommend it. Grab a scrap of cardboard, build the PC on that. Get an anti-static wrist strap, they're cheap. Clip the lead from the wrist strap to something grounded, or remove the alligator clip and plug it in to the ground hole on a three-prong outlet. As you touch the PC case periodically, any static charge it has will drain through you, through the wrist strap, to ground.
McSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
Is this wire Hot?

Rewards Points: 150

Come on now, I think this guy (girl) is yanking us. Seriously, if s/he knows how to build a PC then s/he knows about static. And not one table in the house, and the question about building it on the roof? Hmmmm......

Oh-Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote