Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Household Handyman

Share |

Can I brag a little?

I read about these maybe a year or so ago and tried to get either of our two local electrical supply houses to get some for me to no avail, the minimal order was just too much. I found an on-line electrical supplier which will sell one or more, so I ordered me the two I though I needed. It's a standard looking toggle-type light switch but is actually a three-position switch with a built-in delay timer. This is for a bath area to allow the bath exhaust fan to run for the pre-set time and not worry about remembering if I left the fan on or not. Sorry people, but in my older age this is important to me. The unit has "ON-OFF-Time" positions, the "OFF" does shut down the fan and light, the "Time" shuts off the light but leaves the fan running for the time cycle. Now when I'm done with my shower, I just flip the toggle down to the "time" position and walk away knowing that the fan will shut down in ten minutes, which I selected to start with. With all the company that will be here for the next few days this may become important, removing humidity and --well, bath odors, etc. Merry Christmas, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Can I brag a little?

How about a reference or a source? It sounds like a great idea for some of my rental properties.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #3

Can I brag a little?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
How about a reference or a source? It sounds like a great idea for some of my rental properties.
A better idea I think for a rental property is a humidity sensing fan. This way you don't have to rely on someone turning the timer on.
Tmb9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Can I brag a little?

In my area local codes require me to use this switch so local electric supplies stock them.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #5

Can I brag a little?

They do make spring wound timers that fit right into the switch box. They have them in every HD or Lowes. How much are you paying for the switch with delay function?
Attached Images

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Can I brag a little?

Starting from the bottom up: Yes, JV, they do make the rotary type switches and I have used these in other applications. I did consider these but I just didn't like this type for my bath. Bob, I tried the two apron stores and the electrical supply houses here, the apron stores just had that "DUHH!" look on their faces when I asked, the supply houses did go back to the manufacturer, but as stated-the minimum order was 100 pieces. Not for me. As far as the source: If I am violating any rules I will be told. I am not a supplier nor do I sell these to the public. I may start stocking two of these to recommend to customers who have a bath humidity problem. I got these from "Energy Federation Inc." who I found online as a distributor for "Mark-Time" who makes these switches. M.H. Rhodes is the parent company of Mark-Time "http://www.mhrhodes.com/series42.html" is where I found them. I paid $36 each for these. But I believe they will be worth it. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #7

Can I brag a little?

You can also get a small time delay relay so when power is removed it continues to run for xx minutes. We use then in the HVAC industry to keep a pump running for a few minutes after a boiler turns off to keep the water circulating a little longer. (although I like the timer built into the switch idea better...cleaner at least although probably not cheaper.

vseven is offline   Reply With Quote