Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

can i add lugs to meterbox & run 3 panelboxes from it

I have a 400 amp service, with dual lugs in the meter box. It currently runs to a 200 amp panel in the house that is completely full. I had future plans to build a detached garage and running the other lug to a 200 amp service there.

I have recently considered getting a hot-tub installed and wondering what my options are, since my current panel is full.

Is it possible to install extra lugs in the meter box, and run a 50 amp sub-panel for the hot-tub, strait from the meter box, and if so in the future still be able to run service to from a third lug to a detached garage??????

Just trying to weigh my options before getting the better half too excited about a hot-tub.

roughneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck3 View Post
I have a 400 amp service, with dual lugs in the meter box. It currently runs to a 200 amp panel in the house that is completely full. I had future plans to build a detached garage and running the other lug to a 200 amp service there.

I have recently considered getting a hot-tub installed and wondering what my options are, since my current panel is full.

Is it possible to install extra lugs in the meter box, and run a 50 amp sub-panel for the hot-tub, strait from the meter box, and if so in the future still be able to run service to from a third lug to a detached garage??????

Just trying to weigh my options before getting the better half too excited about a hot-tub.
If the meter has double lugs you can use the extra set. However, you need a fused/breaker disconnect for the detached garage. You cannot add extra lugs unless the meter in designed for this purpose. Just because you can buy lug extensions does not mean you can use them and be code compliant. Do you have a meter main or just a plain meter?

The best way to do this is to install a sub panel from the existing factory lugs and disconnect, then feed your tub from the new sub panel. If you have a meter main service you can do many more things. A meter main is comprised of the meter can and load center (panel) built into one enclosure. Is this what you have?

Your wife will be happy, as you can do this either way. Ordered the tub yet?

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #3

can i add lugs to meterbox & run 3 panelboxes from it-picture_223.jpg

basically gaining access to the current panel is very tough, plus it is full.....so i was hoping to run conduit strait from the meterbox up the side of the house (blue line in pic), through the soffit, have a 50amp panel in attic, come down through soffit (red line) with conduit to the deck where the hot-tub will be located......this would keep me from having to run wires to the current panel box, which would be very tough without doing a lot of cutting into the walls.........but I also want to be able to run from meter to detached garage at a later date, there is already conduit from meter running under ground, to location of future garage.......just trying to make this as easy as possible, without messing up my plans for the future garage
Old 07-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #4

Quote:
.............have a 50amp panel in attic
Whoa there Sparky. Lets think this thru

Surface mount a 200 amp panel next to the service and feed both the hot tub and the future garage from there. You can still run the circuit up and thru the soffit, just tie it into the new 200A panel.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #5

Yup, seems like a sub & feed garage & spa from there
Do you need 200a in the garage?

OR
Put a 100a sub off the 200a in the house
Move some circuits over to the 100a sub
Run the 50a GFCI from the 200a panel for the hot tub
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
If the meter has double lugs you can use the extra set. However, you need a fused/breaker disconnect for the detached garage. You cannot add extra lugs unless the meter in designed for this purpose. Just because you can buy lug extensions does not mean you can use them and be code compliant. Do you have a meter main or just a plain meter?

The best way to do this is to install a sub panel from the existing factory lugs and disconnect, then feed your tub from the new sub panel. If you have a meter main service you can do many more things. A meter main is comprised of the meter can and load center (panel) built into one enclosure. Is this what you have?

Your wife will be happy, as you can do this either way. Ordered the tub yet?
In NYC, the Power company, Con Edison is very adamant about not permitting ANY Double-lugging. It is one of the biggest NO NOs. The way to do it is to put a "Trough" between the meter and any sub panels. Then you can splice in to your heart's content and Code compliance!(No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
In NYC, the Power company, Con Edison is very adamant about not permitting ANY Double-lugging. It is one of the biggest NO NOs. The way to do it is to put a "Trough" between the meter and any sub panels. Then you can splice in to your heart's content and Code compliance!(No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive!!!
So you are saying NY prefers splices over compression terminals? The meter is designed for double lugging. Thats why he has two per phase. I cannot see how a gutter would make this any more compliant. But you gotta do what they want right? AHJ is the final word.

Of course you must verify if the meter is indeed intended for this purpose. It very well could be for parallel conductors.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
So you are saying NY prefers splices over compression terminals? The meter is designed for double lugging. Thats why he has two per phase. I cannot see how a gutter would make this any more compliant. But you gotta do what they want right? AHJ is the final word.

Of course you must verify if the meter is indeed intended for this purpose. It very well could be for parallel conductors.
The meters that are mostly used here in NYC are mostly for multiple dwellings (Not necessarily apartment buildings). There would be in one "Can" 3 0r 4 meters and the "Double Lugged" connection could get loose and overheat. Also, there is the issue of accessibility. A trough, or gutter, on the other hand is accessible. No one "likes" it but we comply!(No matter what) Don't Drink and drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #9

just bought the hot tub, it's being delivered later this week........the meter is just that, no disconnect. it's a 400 amp service, dual lugs in the meter box. one set of lugs run to a 200amp main breaker for the house, that box is full. there is already conduit installed underground running to future site of garage.
my newest thoughts are to go ahead and run a outdoor 200amp main panel on a post at the site of future garage. then feed the hot tub from there, via conduit underground to the deck/hot tub..........my question is, can i run 2 200 amp main panels from the dual lug meter????? would these both be main panels, no subs????? what would be the proper grounding???? wouldn't both be grounded as mains, not subs.........
Old 09-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #10

Provided your meter is listed for double lugging and your POCO won't freak out about it. Yes, both would be installed as mains since there's no disconnect by the meter. Ground them as mains accordingly, bond the neutral bar, etc.

Something to think about would be the requirement for an emergency means of disconnect for your hot tub. The code requires that disconnect within sight of the tub but at least 5' away.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #11

Quote:
can i run 2 200 amp main panels from the dual lug meter?????
Yes, that's how it is designed.

Quote:
what would be the proper grounding???? wouldn't both be grounded as mains, not subs.........
Run a 4 wire to the garage panel with a #6 ground and isolated neutral. I'm sure the house panel is done the same way. Don't forget ground rods at the garage panel and bond wire to any metal piping or building structure out there.

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote