Can I Add A 20 Amp Circuit To This Panel Box? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can I add a 20 amp circuit to this panel box?

Please see the attached picture. Can I add a 20 amp circuit to this panel box by pulling one of the larger 20 amp circuits for the "Garage" and replacing it with a 20/20 tandem breaker?
Attached Thumbnails
Can I add a 20 amp circuit to this panel box?-electrical-box.jpg  

Advertisement

imlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlos View Post
Please see the attached picture. Can I add a 20 amp circuit to this panel box by pulling one of the larger 20 amp circuits for the "Garage" and replacing it with a 20/20 tandem breaker?
A twin breaker is fine, provided your panel is rated for twin breakers. Take a look at the panel, at the labels on the door and see if it allows the use of twin breakers.

Advertisement

300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Have you added things up to make sure you have enough total amperage? That is a pretty full panel, is it 100A service? I know the newer Square Ds and Cutler_Hammers allow the small tandem breakers.
Salem747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 628

The real electricians can answer this better than myself, but the manufacturers information on the panel will tell you how many breaker spaces you are allowed in this panel, and whether slim-line breakers are allowed
Anti-wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,550

The breaker to the garage is 240 volt double pole breaker. You can not replace it with a tandem breaker. That would only be 120 volts and it would overload the neutral.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #6

It could be that there are 2 separate 20A 110V circuits in the garage, then it would be OK. Need more info!
Salem747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 628

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
The breaker to the garage is 240 volt double pole breaker. You can not replace it with a tandem breaker. That would only be 120 volts and it would overload the neutral.
Look again, it is two seperate 20A 120v circuits. If he added another breaker, he would presumably have to run new wires anyway
Anti-wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #8

I intend to add the tandem and re-connect the one garage circuit to one side of the tandem...then I've added a new 12 gauge line that will go to the other side of the tandem and will go to the heater portion of a bathroom fan/light, heater combo. This panel already contains one tandem breaker which runs to the Jacuzzi Tub and living room lighting. I have experienced no issues with that tandem breaker.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

That appears to be a GE panel. GE panels do not use tandem breakers, they use "skinny" or 1/2" breakers to fit two in the space of a full sized 1" breaker. The tandem that is installed in the bottom space of that panel is an improper installation and it should be swapped for two 1/2" GE breakers.

You may swap one of the full sized breakers for two 1/2" if the panel is configured to accept the 1/2" breakers in that location.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #10

No GFCI for the Jacuzzi tub?!?!

As others have said the top two positions may, or may not, be equipped to accept half-space breakers.

The NEC also has a requirement limiting the maximum number of disconnects to shut down a panel. This appears to be a "split bus" panel meaning the Mains are in the center. Every breaker above the Main is considered a disconnect.

I don't remember the maximum number of disconnects allowed in a single panel, but you may be exceeding the limit if you install the half-space breakers
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
No GFCI for the Jacuzzi tub?!?!
My bathroom jacuzzi tub doesn't have a GFCI breaker either
It plugs into a GFCI protected outlet
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #12

Regarding the jacuzzi tub...there is a GFCI outlet at the tub.

I will check the tandem at the bottom of this panel...it may be an improper installation as everything else are 1/2 breakers. Thanks. I dropped in the tandem in the top and it is working fine...but again I am going to do a little more research to determine whether the box accepts tandems. I think I'll post a picture of the door info tomorrow to see what you all think. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

what is the brand name of the panel? is there a modle number?
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zx View Post
what is the brand name of the panel? is there a modle number?

ditto.

You need to post the model of the panel for us to be able to determine if you can legally add any circuits to the panel.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
My bathroom jacuzzi tub doesn't have a GFCI breaker either
It plugs into a GFCI protected outlet
Quote:
Regarding the jacuzzi tub...there is a GFCI outlet at the tub.
I am surprised this is allowed.

It seems that a tub would be considered a permanent fixture and would need to be hard-wired, or pluged into an outlet adjacent to the pump, which would make the outlet inaccessible for ease of reset. Either of these installation methods would require a GFCI breaker.

As picky as code officials get about everything else, I still can't imagine that a heavy duty cord, protruding from a jacuzzi tub, could be allowed to drape across the floor/wall to plug into a GFCI outlet. Sections of the code specifically prohibit locating other types of disconnects, or reset means, or circuit protection devices in locations which are inaccessible or require tools to access. Unbolting a panel from a tub surround to unplug a motor cord from a receptacle is not the same as opening a hinged cupboard door to unplug the garbage disposal.

I suppose the inaccessible convenience plug next to the jacuzzi motor could be daisy-chained from another GFCI device in the same bath. But what is the power draw of the pump (and blower) motor(s)?

Not to hijack this thread, but I can easily imagine a situation where every code requirement pertaining to indoor swimming pools would be applied to whirlpool tubs.

Advertisement

MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote