DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can this be done?

6K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  J S Machine 
#1 ·
I'm going to get my shop wired soon and I'm trying to figure out exactly how everything will be done. I will have a panel with breakers controlling a few circuits. On one particular circuit, I have something I am not sure about.

1.) I have the panel.
2.) I have a single pole switch
3.) I have a light fixture overhead
4. ) I have one lonesome receptacle

To avoid having to run the receptacle on it's own breaker and a dedicated circuit, I would like to have it tied in with the light circuit. Problem is, I can't figure out how to do it.

I know this would be very easy to do if the source was coming from the receptacle side, but it is coming from the switch side.

I drew up this diagram to help explain what I am talking about-

I know I could simply run wiring all the way to the receptacle, and then back to the switch and light, but I'm trying to avoid wasting a bunch of wire if possible. The receptacle is way over on the end of the wall, so to do this would require about three times the wire I'll have to use if the way I'm thinking is possible. I'll have it done that way if that is the only option, but this is my idea:

Run wire from panel to switch. Branch off from the switch to the receptacle, as well as branch off from the switch to the light. The switch controls the light and the receptacle or the receptacle can remain hot at all times..doesn't really matter as long as the switch controls the light.

Is this possible or am I just wishful thinking?

See less See more
#3 ·
You could do the receptacle at the end of the run and it would be switch controlled. You could run 3 wire + ground cable from the switch to the light and then two wire to the receptacle and the receptacle would be hot all the time.

#4 ·
I'm trying to avoid doing it in one run if at all possible. The leng the thewire will have to travel is pretty extensive, and that is the reason I was wondering if it could be done the way I was proposing. If I come off of the switch twice, one run going to the light and the other run going to the receptacle, I can save alot of wire.

Is it possible to do that?

#13 ·
Not sure what cu my box is for that receptacle or the switch. I figure I will need a little larger one for the switch because of all the wire nuts. It is 12/2 wire..Everything I have is 20amp, switch, receptacles..

Why do I need a GFCI receptacle there? Doesn't that require 12/3 wire?

#16 ·
Under the 2008 or later all receptacles in a garage require GFI protection, including the garage door opener receptacle. The GFI must be readily accessible so ceiling mounted is out.

#21 ·
Picked up two GFCI receptacles last night.

Another thing I have been curious about is if the ditch must be a certain distance away from the house. Is there any rule in the code that states such?

I'd like to start digging my ditch for the service line, and I don't want to have to go back and redig because it is too close to the house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.