DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Can anyone tell me what this is? (

jheavner 10-11-2008 05:03 PM

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Billy_Bob 10-11-2008 05:26 PM

That is an old telephone line protector.

joed 10-11-2008 05:34 PM

Yep. Telephone surge protector/ entry connection point.
That's a nice clean new looking one. Usually they are all covered in cob webs and dirt.

jheavner 10-11-2008 05:37 PM

Thanks guys, I had never seen one of those before.

Billy_Bob 10-11-2008 05:44 PM

Here is more info on it - about 1/4 down following page...

dc4nomore 10-11-2008 07:19 PM

That's a great writeup on that link, by the way. Very informative.

But I had an identical device in my home when I first moved in. I didn't like it because it was from 1938, so I ripped it out. I then called the phone company and told them I was upgrading my phone lines and I noticed that I didn't have one of those network interface boxes on the outside of my home. So they sent a technician out and he installed one on the side of my house for free. And he ended up installing all new phone wire from the telephone pole to my house. You might be able to do the same if you wanted to get rid of that old thing...

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1