Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #1

Share |

Camper to run off battery

I have a camper that I usually hook up at electrical camp sites. I am now venturing off to non-electrical camp sites. There is a battery already hooked up to it. When unplugged the battery runs a few lights in the camper, but non of the plugs. Is this normal? It would be nice to be able to charge an ipod from the outlets.

Thoughts?

fjacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjacky View Post
I have a camper that I usually hook up at electrical camp sites. I am now venturing off to non-electrical camp sites. There is a battery already hooked up to it. When unplugged the battery runs a few lights in the camper, but non of the plugs. Is this normal? It would be nice to be able to charge an ipod from the outlets.

Thoughts?
If all you want to do is charge an iPod, then I suggest just buying a car accessory kit that will allow you to do so.

stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjacky View Post

Thoughts?
The electrical system in the RV supplies 12 volts DC to the lights from the battery. The receptacles do not work unless you are plugged in.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

You are going to need an inverter. Also, unless you have a means of recharging the battery, it would be pointless. I would get one of the small sized Honda generators to take with you. That way, not only can you keep the battery charged, but you also can have 120 anytime you need.

There are Solar charges also, but again you need sun to do it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #5

With the camper roof surface area you might get quite a bit energy from a solar panel.

10 sq. meters of area will give you 1600W, max, for five hours or so.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoyizit For This Useful Post:
J. V. (06-17-2012), mpoulton (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Charging an ipod doesn't require 120V. Just use a 12V car charger. The 12V lighter receptacles in the camper should work fine. But if you want to run other things, you'll need an inverter - and a way to charge the batteries. Solar panels are expensive but a very practical solution.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #7

When I am away from hookups use the 12v power points that I installed in my camper (same as the 12v powerpoint in a vehicle) with small 75w power inverters for charging the kids electronic devices. I run my generator during the day to charge up the camper batteries and to use the microwave, coffee maker etc......

mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote