Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

CAFI or CAFIC Circuit Breaker?

I just replaced what I thought was a faulty breaker in my box and as it turns out, the darn thing still doesn't work. The breaker I took out was labeled Q0115CAFI. I took it over to Home Depot and the only thing they had that matched was one labeled QO115CAFIC (note the "C" at the end). The Home Depot guy said it should work. But..it doesn't.

SO...do I simply have the wrong breaker or do I have underlying issues? Not sure if the "C" at the end denotes something that's incompatible with the old one.

Anyone know? THANKS!!!

turbomatic73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

Might want to share exactly why you thought it was bad and what does this breaker go to.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #3

sure...thanks. The breaker goes to the master bathroom where the women in the family plug in their hair dryers. They breaker would trip every month or so recently, so I'd reset it and everything would be fine until the next month or so. Yesterday resetting it did nothing, so I figured it just needed a new breaker. Put in the new breaker, and I still got no power to the outlets in the bathroom.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #4

Is there also a GFCI outlet in the bathroom which needs to have "Reset" pressed?

Or that GFCI outlet could be located in another bathroom.

If all else fails, press "Reset" on every GFCI you can find inside (and outside) the house! Seriously!

The "C" on the AFCI breaker may indicate a "combination AFCI" - nothing to do with a GFCI. There is tons of information about false tripping of AFCI breakers on the internet.

Might check with your local electrical inspector as to if you are required to have an AFCI on a bathroom circuit.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #5

OK I have no idea what happened...

I went and looked in the bathroom and there are no GFCI outlets...nor do I have any GFCI in the house. But, one of the bathrooms had a hair dryer plugged into it that had one of those "reset" button thingies at the end of the cord. As soon as I unplugged it, I went into the bathroom that was giving me problems, and now the lights/outlets work.

I have no idea what just happened...
Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #6

Perhaps there is a loose connection on that outlet you plugged the hair dryer into?

And plugging it in wiggled the loose connection a bit?

I would check the outlet connections. Many times wires go from one thing to the next to the next. Also wires stuck into the holes in the back of outlets many times come loose or fail. Better is wires wrapped around the screws - use a needle nose pliers to get the right bend.

How old is the house? Do you have old wiring? (Because you said you don't have GFCI's.)
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #7

The real question is why the bathroom is on an AFCI circuit when it should be on a GFCI circuit, unless you're subject to some strange local regulation. In regards to the issue, it sounds like the AFCI breaker was detecting an arc associated with the hair dryer and removing it from the circuit allowed the breaker to reset, causing you to regain power.
LooseSCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
Electrical Enthusiast

Definitely check the connections at the receptacle the hair dryer is plugged into; you probably have a loose wire that caused the AFCI to trip.
Bathrooms are not normally required to be on AFCI breakers.
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Not sure if the "C" at the end denotes something that's incompatible with the old one.
For Sq D, the difference between CAFCI and CAFCIC is the second one comes in clamshell packaging.

Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote