Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #1

Share |

Cable TV...old home

Hello all,

I have a 90yr old home and want to run cable lines all over the house.

I am running the lines myself (i have exp. w/network lines)

My plan is to have the cable come into the house in the attic. I will then run lines from there to 5 rooms upstairs. Then run one line from the attic to the basement...where i'll run lines to 3 locations.

My question is about whether or not i should amplify the signal from the attic? Basement? At all? What about cable modem?...I hear they don't like signal boosters, etc...

I am interested in quality signal...but, I am not a freak about it!! Most rooms are spare rooms & won't be used much.

Any help would be appreciated!!! Happy Spring!

MichaelWayne_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
Underground Techie

Cable TV...old home

If you EVER have any plans on getting Dish TV, I would run three lines downstairs. I don't know about whether or not you would need any signal boosters. I have a two story house and wires everywhere, and I don't have any boosters.

sevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Cable TV...old home

I've installed a fair amount of RG-59 and in the last few years RG-6. To be honest, I've never had any problem that required a booster and I don't know much about them as far as application considerations. Perhaps the simplest solution is to install you cable and then add a booster if you find the signal unsatisfactory.

Remember, the quality of your made-connections will bear greatly on the amount of attenuation you experience.

Jimmy
Old 04-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #4

Cable TV...old home

You won't know if you need a booster until you install the cable and try it.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:39 AM   #5

Cable TV...old home

Just something to check, I know you said you're on cable, but with a dish, if you decided to go with a DVR, you will need two RG6 cables to the recorder.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:32 AM   #6

Cable TV...old home

Finally a question I can answer.
In the attic you will need a 3way splitter and a 4 way splitter.
The 3way will have two 7.5dB loss legs and a single 3.5dB loss leg.
You should connect your cable modem to that 3.5 loss leg and then one of the 7.5 legs to your 4 way splitter.
That will give you the 5 outlets for upstairs and an outlet to run directly to your cable modem plus 1 to run downstairs.
Downstairs you will need a 3 way splitter.
You will need an amp for this install. Most cable company's will provide these for free if you ask when they come to hook up your outside line.
The amp placement is a little tricky. It really depends on how much signal you have coming into the house to start with as to where to place it.
And as for cabling I would suggest using RG-6 since that is the standard that is used by cable company's and satellite company's as well.
scoobydoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #7

Cable TV...old home

If you must use an amp, make sure that either it's installed only in lines connecting to TV's and not a cable modem, or that you use a 2-way amp that will work with the cable modem.
As suggested, your cable company should be able to supply this. They can also check the signal strength and determine whether or not you need an amp.

FW
fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
Home Remodeler

Cable TV...old home

Not an expert but I think I would use home runs to a central area where the cable or satlelight can hookup. No splitters. More wire but well worth it.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #9

Cable TV...old home

You could pull it all to a central point but there really isn't that much gain by doing it that way. It still has to have splitters for that number of outlets and the loss on the cable length is still going to be small.
Of course if you have all the walls open and extra cable pulling it all to one point will make it easier on your local cable guy. As would labeling everything as to where it goes. Most importantly which line your going to put your modem on so it can be connected before any amp at the first splitter on the incoming line to minimize loss.
scoobydoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #10

Cable TV...old home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey48 View Post
I would use home runs to a central area where the cable or satlelight can hookup. No splitters. More wire but well worth it.

This will also allow the OP to move his modem to any cable jack.