Cable Reticulation Without Chasing.... - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Cable Reticulation without chasing....

Afternoon All

Wonder if anybody has any advise for me, I am looking for a solution to the title.... Cable Reticulation without chasing into brick work. The only obvious solution i see is to run it though the skirting in conduiting possibly, really small conduiting. In which case the skirting would need to be a little like standard office power skirting, just with a little Aesthetic finesse… the conduit would need to house enough power supply for 5 plug points, 3 data points and a tel point at various points (which are grouped) around the perimeter. The finish of the skirting would need to be timber or painted MDF… just not plastic and needs to look as much as possible like an actually skirting board. I’ve seen synthetic timber versions of reticulated skirtings (out of country) but they have horrible connecting pieces!

Also once that has been decided, how to get this from the skirting to the joinery piece along the wall without having a plastic white channel stuck to the wall… again no chasing can happen. The only thing that I can think of is that the joinery item needs to (if mounted on the wall and not free standing) connect to the skirting to allow transfer of cables….

Any suggestions or supplier link would be greatly appreciated.
Hope you can help

Justin
Cape Town (SA)

Advertisement

Justin Gomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,354

I am sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about or what you are trying to do Can you restate you existing condition and what you are trying top accomplish? Pictures would also help. Remember most of the people on this board are from the USA and may not be familar with the local jargon.

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

I had to look up cable reticulation as well, sounds like cable tray would be a replacement word, but I can't figure out what the OP is trying to accomplish either.

Mark
Old 08-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Looks to me, they want five outlets, 3 LAN jacks, and some telephone hook ups. I wonder is this is for a Internet cafe of sorts.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:40 AM   #5

Good morning…. Sorry, I think that I was getting ahead of myself…. I am a Design Techincian at a Cape Town (South Africa) based company, our primary source of work is the hospitality trade namely Hotels and in the case a 3 star hotel that is to be developed around Africa…. My aim here is to ascertain whether I can wiring a hotel bedroom without chasing into the walls which is brick work… due to the abundance of labour force in the country and lack of “building education” in these places most of the rooms are brick walls that are plastered flush….. I am looking for a solution that is retro fit after building works are completed so that the electrician does not have to be on site to coordinate with the brick layer in terms of where cut lines are to be and the plasterers do not have to make a second visit to cover up chasing…. The reason for this is to cut costs, make the process more simple and less coordination between trades…. Hope this is clearer….

The image i have uploaded (if i did it right) is a typical bedroom layout that we have done for another project... along the perimeter are the various electrcal, data & HVAC points... there are points at the wardrobe, desk & headboard most of these need to run up the wall from the skirting to the unit
Attached Thumbnails
Cable Reticulation without chasing....-typical-bedroom-elec-layout.jpg  
Old 08-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,782

I don't know if it is available in SA, but try Panduit or Wiremold for a surface mount solution. Some can look like a baseboard trim with removable covers.

See if this helps.
http://www.legrand.us/wiremold/stato...10815_electric

Last edited by Jim Port; 08-17-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added link
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:42 AM   #7

... Thank you Jim, that is a great product... very sleek & minimal. I had the SA Legrand rep in here yesterday but he had nothing to show me that wasn't the average office trunking... I did a little design of my own last night after finding the standard 16mm x 16mm trunking at a supplier near by.... have a look i have uploaded an actual mock up.... still in trial stages but the rough idea is there.... 32mm x 80mm MDF or solid timber (SA Pine) skirting with 16mm x 50mm section removed from the back. This space allows for the mini trunking (PVC exstrution) cap/lid to be screwed/glued. Then the channel is to screwed to the wall and if everything lines up... it will just snap on .... for wiring to travel up the wall a second channel must be linked to the skirting.... system can be made off site in factory and easily installed on site... concerns: worried that the over a long length there might be a trouble clipping the skirting onto the channel fixed to the wall.... and will it be study enough? don't want clients to be walking up to it and yanking it off the wall
Attached Thumbnails
Cable Reticulation without chasing....-photo0880.jpg   Cable Reticulation without chasing....-photo0881.jpg  

Advertisement

Tags
chasing , electrical , reticulation , skirting , wiring