Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #1

Share |
Question

cable gauge for ADT security

i am in the process of running wire to my shed and was wondering which spec of cable i should use for ADT security (i tried calling them to ask but it was hard to get a technical answer from their customer service) ? i saw in HD that 22/4 was used for that but just wanted to confirm.

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Just call me Andrew

I just checked my ADT system - it looks like 18/2 (no ground) for power to both the control panel and cell uplink (no home phone here), and 22/? for the alarm signal. I didn't open up the box to see how many conductors were in the 22gauge wire.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #3

It all depends on what you want to put in the shed. You could also run a 12 wire multi and just splice into that. Than you would have 12 wires to do whatever you want. For power we either run twist which is 18 or we use 22/4 and use red and yellow spliced together for positive and black and green for negative. You can use either solid or stranded. Stranded is more forgiving. I assume you are going to have a contact for the main door and possibly a window or 2 or even a motion. so 1 22/4 for the motion, and a twist or 18 gauge to each contact. if you want the doors and windows on the same zone than just run 1 twist or 18 and splice them up in series to each other. I do this everyday so any questions just ask.
Chevyman30571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #4

Either of those are ok, but with long distances, you get "voltage drop", so better to use a larger gauge wire if you have the choice.

And is this "in the air" as opposed to buried under ground? If yes, then best to use a "shielded cable" and ground one end of the shield. There are all sorts of radio signals out there and a long wire outside can pick up those signals. Just like an antenna.

Voltage drop calculator...
(Alarms are typically 12 volts DC.)
http://www.nooutage.com/vdrop.htm

Also if there will be fire protection out there, you might need 4 wires for that. And an additional 4 to 6 wires for security depending on if you have a motion detector on a separate "zone" or not. Best to run too many wires.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #5

All depends on how far the run is. Also you need to remember that alarm panels cannot accept to large of wire. Also contacts cannot accept large wire at all. We did a very long run and were fine as far as voltage drop. Also you only need to worry about voltage of you are using power. for contacts not so much.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Many of the newer security panels use standard CAT-5 cables, which have 24 gauge and 4 twisted pairs of wires in them.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #7

I have seen panels done with cat5 before and I am not a fan of it at all. Granted when you make a run you have a bunch of spares at that location i just prefer to do it old school. With cat5 it gets way to crowded in that panel and most installers don't leave the spares in the panel they cut off the excess which i basically pointless.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #8

i will just have a security keypad and door detector so that no one breaks in my tool shed and i can set the security from it. the main ADT panel is in the basement, from which i am running wire to the shed. i hope this explains.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #9

Are you still a customer with adt? If so you can buy all the parts you need online but you will not be able to program it. There is a program tamper in programming so if you try to program it central station will know and you can get charged extra. For just a keypad and a contact all you would need is a quad which is a 22/4 and a twist which is the 18g wire. Or you can run another quad in place of the twist and just double up on the pairs and you should be fine. I also suggest running an extra quad just in case of future add ons.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman30571 View Post
For just a keypad and a contact all you would need is a quad which is a 22/4 and a twist which is the 18g wire. Or you can run another quad in place of the twist and just double up on the pairs and you should be fine. I also suggest running an extra quad just in case of future add ons.
i do not understand why i need two types of cable when the existing two keypads in the basement (front and rear door) are connected using a single kind of cable (i believe 22/4 but it's hard to see the gauge cause it is small).