Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #1

Share |

Cable Fastening & Cable Bundles

This is two questions in relation to romex electrical wiring.

#1: I have a bundle (12+) of cables (12/2, 14/2, 14/3 electrical romex) that run on the side of a room in the crawl space between the first and second floors. I assumed it would be OK to zip tie the bundle every few feet; however, I'm reading about some code rules such as the one stating you can't have more than one cable under a standard 1/2" staple. Cables need to breathe some to allow for the disipation of heat. Got me wondering if what I did is OK. I have seen cables bundles run through conduit not leaving much room. Thinking that using a zip tie every few feet would be no worse...

#2: Related to #1, I did put more than one cable under a 1/2" staple in a few places. Now I need to redo it. I see the cable management parts that keep some distance between cables. Will change to those where I can. If I have a spot that is tight close to a box and can't fasten with a staple what is an approved means to fasten? Is using a zip tie to tie cable to a staple enough?

Last edited by ctlu008; 01-14-2012 at 12:05 PM.
ctlu008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Cables could mean anything. Speaker cables, coax, video, networking, electrical, alarm. Come on, five everyone a clue here as to what kind.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #3

Modified the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Cables could mean anything. Speaker cables, coax, video, networking, electrical, alarm. Come on, five everyone a clue here as to what kind.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Find out what your local codes state, and read the specific section in NEC states, if you are in the U.S.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 01-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Find out what your local codes state, and read the specific section in NEC states, if you are in the U.S.
In the NEC I just see where it states to fasten so the cable will not be damaged. Have not found where it says can not staple more than one cable with standard 1/2" staple but read that on another website. Thus, posted here for help.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

This is where stackers come into play. Bundling is actually against the NEC, if you search a little more in Chapter 3 of the 201Only certain type can be bundled, but with electrical, then derating comes into play.

Last edited by gregzoll; 01-14-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #7

That you can only put one nm cable under a staple is untrue, you can put as many as the manufacturer specifies.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlu008 View Post
In the NEC I just see where it states to fasten so the cable will not be damaged. Have not found where it says can not staple more than one cable with standard 1/2" staple but read that on another website. Thus, posted here for help.
You won't find it in the NEC.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #9

From this: http://www.electricalknowledge.com/f...chives/347.asp
it seems this gets controversial / complex.

I went to Home Depot and looked at the cable stackers. The only one they had was listed as handling up to 8 12-2 cables. It had 4 slots. However, it would only support 2 14-3 cables. That didn't make sense to me.

Anyway, my staples don't have a lot of details. A Home Depot employee that said he used to wire homes said the staples will handle 3 12-2 or 14-2 cables but only 2 14-3 cables. My 14-3 is flat not round. The thickness of the 14-3 is the same as the 14-2. I'm planning on going with 3 of any type.

As far as bundling, he said to break the large bundle up into bundles of 3 cables each. 2 if 14-3. Then staple each bundle individually in the run. I'm assuming this will work if I space them out.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Just make a call on Tuesday to your local permit office and talk to the electrical inspector. They would be able to tell you if it meets their standards when checking out jobs that need to pull a permit to do the job. Every place and every inspector is different.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #11

Ask the guys at home depot where things are.......period. Don't ask for or take their "expert advice" If they were experts they wouldn't be at home depot.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Missouri Bound For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-15-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #12

To be fair, occasionally you get lucky. But when you do, you're normally surprised he/she works there. More often, you get fellows like the one in lowes who claimed you don't need anything (clamps, bushings, etc.) to protect wires going into a metal electrical box.
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_lost_shadow View Post
To be fair, occasionally you get lucky. But when you do, you're normally surprised he/she works there. More often, you get fellows like the one in lowes who claimed you don't need anything (clamps, bushings, etc.) to protect wires going into a metal electrical box.
I've been there. Had a guy tell me I needed to drywall my ceiling with the thinnest drywall available (think it was 1/4") to do a span of 16". All the drywall manufacturers say to use 5/8" for that or it will sag.

Anyway, I debundled the cables and stapled them in individual sets of 2 cables regardless of type. They converge more at one corner but only for about 12 inches which is half the allowed amount according to what I've read about bundling.

This is in a basement ceiling. Temps will be 70's at most during the summer and 60's rest of the year. Should not have any overheating issues. Also, most of the circuits will not have much on them. Others may for a few hours at a time.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlu008

I've been there. Had a guy tell me I needed to drywall my ceiling with the thinnest drywall available (think it was 1/4") to do a span of 16". All the drywall manufacturers say to use 5/8" for that or it will sag.

Anyway, I debundled the cables and stapled them in individual sets of 2 cables regardless of type. They converge more at one corner but only for about 12 inches which is half the allowed amount according to what I've read about bundling.

This is in a basement ceiling. Temps will be 70's at most during the summer and 60's rest of the year. Should not have any overheating issues. Also, most of the circuits will not have much on them. Others may for a few hours at a time.

The answer to your question is the zip ties are ok if the wires are hanging in the craw space but every where you put straps change them to 1 wire per strap

mike03 is offline   Reply With Quote