Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #1

Share |

Cable Connector Clamp for 2 wires?

Hi -

I recently had some disappointing work done by an electrician who is not responding to my phone calls. I need to move forward on my project, and I think that if I am careful, read a lot, and enlist help, I can do a better job myself.

The electrician installed an outdoor sub panel that has 2 remaining knockouts in the back. I'd like to use these knockouts to wire my addition. One of the knockouts is quite big. It is my understanding that you are only allowed to run one NM wire through a connector clamp (one of these):

I have also read that some connector clamps are approved for 2 NM wires. Since I only have 2 knockouts, if I could find this type of clamp, I could run 4 circuits in my addition.

I've scoured the internet, and have been unable to find anything that says it is approved for 2. In my main panel (which was installed in 1980, and presumably approved), I have 3 Romex cables in a 3/4" clamp. I'm not sure how this came to be, and if it is legal.

Does anyone know where I could find such a clamp that specifically states it is approved for 2 NM cables? Also, do I need to use anything special - the panel is a surface mount, but there is a small gap behind it where I can see light coming in from outside. I think it would be possible for water to get in there. Is there such a thing as a gasket that seals between a panel and the inside of the wall?

Thanks!

fulmar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Note: my reply in bleu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulmar2 View Post
Hi -

I recently had some disappointing work done by an electrician who is not responding to my phone calls. I need to move forward on my project, and I think that if I am careful, read a lot, and enlist help, I can do a better job myself.

Did that electrician pull the permit or not ? and was it complety inspected by inspector or not ? if have permit and the inspector did not come yet my answer is just wait until inspector get done otherwise there may other issue arise.

The electrician installed an outdoor sub panel that has 2 remaining knockouts in the back. I'd like to use these knockouts to wire my addition. One of the knockouts is quite big. It is my understanding that you are only allowed to run one NM wire through a connector clamp (one of these):

What kind of outdoor subpanel is that used for ?

Just be aware some local codes may only allow one NM per connector even thru I know they are listed for 2 ( if the manufacter do have the listing of that one )

I have also read that some connector clamps are approved for 2 NM wires. Since I only have 2 knockouts, if I could find this type of clamp, I could run 4 circuits in my addition.

I know few NM connectors are listed for two cables but again it depending on the manufacter and the codes of that area it being used.

I've scoured the internet, and have been unable to find anything that says it is approved for 2. In my main panel (which was installed in 1980, and presumably approved), I have 3 Romex cables in a 3/4" clamp. I'm not sure how this came to be, and if it is legal.

3 is kinda tight there again it may be ok in very old days but per modern codes and inspectors alot of them will say 2 is the top but if that was installed orngally most case leave it alone that can be under grandfather clause unless inspector say something different.

Does anyone know where I could find such a clamp that specifically states it is approved for 2 NM cables? Also, do I need to use anything special - the panel is a surface mount, but there is a small gap behind it where I can see light coming in from outside. I think it would be possible for water to get in there. Is there such a thing as a gasket that seals between a panel and the inside of the wall?

Thanks!
There are plenty manufacter that it can post the infomation on them.

Now for small gap this what I useally do all the time is run silicone chalk on the top and side only do not do the bottom for good reason ( you will need to keep it open in bottom for moisture drainage )

I know there are other guys will chime in with their options as well so hang on a bit they will reply to you soon.

Merci,
Marc

fulmar2 (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Did that electrician pull the permit or not ? and was it complety inspected by inspector or not ? if have permit and the inspector did not come yet my answer is just wait until inspector get done otherwise there may other issue arise.
Thank you for your helpful reply! I pulled the permit as "owner builder." I hired the electrician because he was licensed and I thought he could help me pass my inspection. I emailed my inspector with pictures of items I was worried about, and sure enough, they were all problems. Unfortunately, I paid the electrician, and he stopped answering his phone after I left a message about the problems. Oops; I guess that I have to accept this as a loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
What kind of outdoor subpanel is that used for ?
Here is a picture of what I am dealing with. From another question, I think that the LB inside the wall will be OK if I just put an access panel over it. You can see that there are only 2 knockouts remaining in the back of the panel. Ideally, I'd run 5 circuits into my addition, but I think that I can make it work with 4. Having just 2 knockouts in the back is pretty limiting; I suppose I could just toss the panel and get one that works better for my needs.

Before I undo everything that he did, though, I wanted to see if I could get some help to move forward with what I've got.

Thanks again so much!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

YES, those NM connectors can accept two cables, some even three. I have never heard of any amendments limiting them to one, but anything's possible.
Check Arlinton's web site.

Why are you limited to those two unused KO's? Aren't there more in the back of the panel? I don't see any other holes around that LB. Or is that LB not coming into the center of the panel.

What was so bad about this instal? Right off the bat, that LB is pretty lame. There HAD to be a better way.
Was the guy a real electrician, or some kind of handyman or general contractor?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

Since you need an access panel for the LB you could mount a 4x4 box with a close nipple to the panel. Bring the cables into the box.
fulmar2 (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Licensed Electrician

I remember your first post with the pictures of the hack work. I know if I had paid a "professional" to do something, and he did work like this, I'd use any means possible to eff up his livelihood. Give the inspector this contractor's name. They can revoke any license he has in the community. If he doesn't come back to fix it, all his licensing can be revoked.

I've seen it numerous times here. Why do people just roll over when they are taken for a ride by someone that says they are a contractor?

I will add that NO licensed ELECTRICIAN would install anything close to what you show in your pictures.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
I will add that NO licensed ELECTRICIAN would install anything close to what you show in your pictures.
Thanks, k_buz. I did look up his license number online, and it is valid. I do plan to file a complaint if he refuses to fix it / continues to ignore my phone calls. Thanks.