Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #1

Share |

Cable Clamps

When I use clamps like this does it matter which side of the clamp extends into the box?

jerseyguy1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #2

Cable Clamps

I've always seen the screws on the outside of the box
Makes it much easier to tighten them down

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #3

Cable Clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I've always seen the screws on the outside of the box
Makes it much easier to tighten them down
I've been putting the screws on the outside but in some cases the box is going to be plastered into the wall. I am leaving myself about 6 inches of slack of cable in the wall just in case I ever need it in the future and I was thinking that if the screws are on the outside (i.e. plastered into the wall with the box) that it will make it impossible for me to loosen the clamp to pull that extra cable into the box. Is there any reason to not have the screws accessible inside the box?
Old 12-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Just call me Andrew

Cable Clamps

It gives you more room, but if the screws are on the outside of the box it does make it impossible to remove them once you drywall...

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #5

Cable Clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
It gives you more room, but if the screws are on the outside of the box it does make it impossible to remove them once you drywall...
That was my thought above in my post before yours. Just wondering if there is any code requirement or reasonable reason not to put the screws in the box.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #6

Cable Clamps

The Electrical Inspector would have fun! They don't list a cu i for box fill.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #7

Cable Clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
The Electrical Inspector would have fun! They don't list a cu i for box fill.
Sorry I don't understand. Are you saying that they may consider it an internal clamp and therefore tack on the space requirements for it? That could be a problem because these boxes only have 12 square inches of space and I am pretty close to that already.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #8

Cable Clamps

Yeah, if its allowed inside the box you would have to add on for box fill
There really should not be a need for 6" of slack
If you need more wire you pigtail to existing wire
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #9

Cable Clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyguy1996 View Post
When I use clamps like this does it matter which side of the clamp extends into the box?

Depends on who you ask. If you ask me, I say the clamp goes on the outside, as this is how they are intended to be used. I would say in my 35 years in this business, I have NEVER seen an electrician do this. I have seen DIY'ers and hacks doing this on occasion, but rarely.

NM cable must be stapled near the box so the cable cannot be pulled out. So installing them backwards makes little sense.
Box fill considerations and laughter from anyone that sees this work would keep most from doing it.
I also see issues with devices not fitting with this external clamp located internally. Just MHO.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #10

Cable Clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Depends on who you ask. If you ask me, I say the clamp goes on the outside, as this is how they are intended to be used. I would say in my 35 years in this business, I have NEVER seen an electrician do this. I have seen DIY'ers and hacks doing this on occasion, but rarely.

NM cable must be stapled near the box so the cable cannot be pulled out. So installing them backwards makes little sense.
Box fill considerations and laughter from anyone that sees this work would keep most from doing it.
I also see issues with devices not fitting with this external clamp located internally. Just MHO.
I was under the impression that if the wire is being run through a finished wall with no access to the interior (without cutting gaping holes), that they didn't have to be stapled inside the wall. I have just been stapling the wire at the entry point into the wall (from the attic) and then clamping them to the box with the cable clamps in the image.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
Master Electrician

Cable Clamps

Here is an alternartive.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
J. V. (12-27-2010)
Old 12-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
Scared Electrician

Cable Clamps

Quote:
I was under the impression that if the wire is being run through a finished wall with no access to the interior (without cutting gaping holes), that they didn't have to be stapled inside the wall.

correct
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #13

Cable Clamps

Quote:
I was under the impression that if the wire is being run through a finished wall with no access to the interior (without cutting gaping holes), that they didn't have to be stapled inside the wall. I have just been stapling the wire at the entry point into the wall (from the attic) and then clamping them to the box with the cable clamps in the image.
Thats correct. But you failed to mention that you were "fishing" cables in your original post. We can help, we cannot read minds.

Last edited by J. V.; 12-27-2010 at 11:06 AM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
nap
You talking to me?

Cable Clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
O.
absolutely agreed.

The only way to be 100% certain would be to refer to the manufacturers UL listing on how it is meant to be installed.

Sorry but just not up to hitting the UL white papers this morning.

jerseyguy;

how are you installing the locknut? If you have room to install a locknut, you surely have room to slip a screwdriver in there and tighten the clamp if it was on the outside.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #15

Cable Clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
absolutely agreed.

The only way to be 100% certain would be to refer to the manufacturers UL listing on how it is meant to be installed.

Sorry but just not up to hitting the UL white papers this morning.

jerseyguy;

how are you installing the locknut? If you have room to install a locknut, you surely have room to slip a screwdriver in there and tighten the clamp if it was on the outside.
I was installing the clamp first with the locknut on the outside, then feeding the wire into the clamp, then securing the box into the wall and plastering everything in, then pulling the correct amount of wire through the clamp and tightening the screws down on the inside of the box. I can do it the other way also, I just have to know that if I ever need to access more wire than what is in the box I will have to chisel the box out of the wall to access the screws on the clamp.