Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #1

Share |

Cabin-Light fixture

At a cabin, in a bedroom: Power is supplied to a central light fixture in the ceiling by the white wires of a three wire bundle. The black remains intact and simply bent....attached to nothing. The bare wire is intact...bent and was secured to the metal of the outlet box by screw/plate. As mentioned, white wire was cut and attached to the two posts of a simple incond. light fixture. The outlet box is nailed to the 2x6 ceiling joist. The light is on a switch. Does this all sound correct?
I'm trying to install a ceiling fan with black, white, and bare wires. Trying to decide if I need to expose the black wire and connect existing black and white wires to the black and white wires of the ceiling fan remote control power devise....first trying to see if there is a problem with how the fixture was wired to begin with?

Be Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #2

Cabin-Light fixture

It does not sound right to me!
The bare with is ground,
and should be connectted to the metal j box,
and if the light has any metal then connectted to that also.

Usually the black is hot,
White is usually neutral,

Yours is different, even thou it might work,
It would not be up to code.

If you can safely change it all,
You should try to follow code,

Use black for hot and white for neutral,
But you will have to change over the connections
at both ends of the line.

Are you up to it ?
If not, call in an electricain.

dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
I=E/R

Cabin-Light fixture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Right View Post
At a cabin, in a bedroom: Power is supplied to a central light fixture in the ceiling by the white wires of a three wire bundle. The black remains intact and simply bent....attached to nothing. The bare wire is intact...bent and was secured to the metal of the outlet box by screw/plate. As mentioned, white wire was cut and attached to the two posts of a simple incond. light fixture. The outlet box is nailed to the 2x6 ceiling joist. The light is on a switch. Does this all sound correct?
I'm trying to install a ceiling fan with black, white, and bare wires. Trying to decide if I need to expose the black wire and connect existing black and white wires to the black and white wires of the ceiling fan remote control power devise....first trying to see if there is a problem with how the fixture was wired to begin with?
First, are you in the US?
Second, You used the term white wires indicating there is more than one.
Third, a wire is a single piece of wire and a cable is two or more wires inside a sheathing.
The reason I bring this up is this doesn't make sense:
Quote:
As mentioned, white wire was cut and attached to the two posts of a simple incond. light fixture.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:23 AM   #4

Cabin-Light fixture

Yes, In the US. The original, intact white wire was cut, loops were formed at each cut end, and those loops were attached to the two poles/screws of the light fixture....guess the correct term is wire...a break was just made in it.
Just trying to figure out why the white wire, not the black is the one powering the light....and that being the case-am i going to ruin this ceiling fan (or worse...fire) that i hope to install by keeping with the color coded wiring (ww,bb).
thanks for the thoughts.
Be Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
I=E/R

Cabin-Light fixture

I can't follow your project the way you are describing it. Can you post a picture of the ceiling box?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote