Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #1

Share |

Bypassing transfer switch in RV to backfeed panel

ok... I realize this one is going to get some backlash. Please don't respond with the legalities of backfeeding a panel, etc etc. I realize if the main switch is left on, all kinds of bad things could happen including injury to a lineman repairing power lines etc.

I have a hypothetical question.

I know I can use the 7500 watt generator in my rv to backfeed my house panel with either a 110 outlet or a dedicated breaker and 220 line out of the rv.

What I'm wondering is why couldn't I use the perfectly good 6 gauge cable, plug, line and breaker connecting the RV to the house now? It does have an automatic transfer switch that keeps the RV power connected to either the generator or the shore power at any time but never both. Could I not put in a breaker between the generator and shore that would connect the two when I wanted to send the power back to my house?

I know that connecting the generator directly to the house through that plug/line would work fine. I guess my main question is would connecting those 2 lines short something in the transfer switch that I'm not thinking about and ruin it?

I know that forgetting to turn those breakers back off afterward would cause a dangerous situation so we can skip that part. I just want to know, logically, if there's a reason that wont work.

Thanks

Old 07-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

UNLESS you reversed the cord direction, and installed the proper inlets, isolation/transfer switches, the short answer is "NO"

You do NOT want that power cord's male end prongs energized when unplugged ... that can be lethal!

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
Old 07-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #3

Yes. I understand all of that. What about the transfer switch question?
Old 07-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmw7 View Post
ok... I realize this one is going to get some backlash. Please don't respond with the legalities of backfeeding a panel, etc etc.
Sorry, you do NOT get to choose who answers or how.

We also do NOT give advice on how to do things dangerously or illegally.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (07-28-2012), rjniles (07-28-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #5

The transfer switch in the RV protects the RV wiring but will not protect the house wiring.

In order to use the run from the house panel to the RV receptacle you must convert into a generator feed. This includes installing a transfer switch or interlock up at the house panel and substituting a male receptacle for the RV receptacle. This will also prevent using house power to feed the RV using that line.

Better to install a separate feed for use with the generator. Nothing prohibits having this feed end at the same place on the side of the house as the RV receptacle. You would also install a (female) receptacle on the side of the RV to connect a cable from the house.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-28-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
the Musigician

You will never get advise from us here at DIYChatroom.com that could possibly harm you or your family. Let alone the poor lineman that's only doing his job trying to restore power. Please do not ask us to do so.

This thread is closed.

DM

darren (07-28-2012), jbfan (07-28-2012)
Closed Thread