Bypass Motion Sensing Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bypass motion sensing switch

I'm building a new bathroom in my basement and want to install a motion sensing switch that will automatically turn on the accent lighting and the exhaust fan when somebody enters the room. This device will automatically turn the lights off when it doesn't detect motion after five minutes. Also I will have a seperate toggle switch to control the light near the shower(not part of accent lighting). My dilemma is that when somebody goes out of view of motion sensor to take a shower the accent lighting will go off (which is fine) but I will lose the exhaust fan as well. How could I keep the fan as part of the accent lighting, but at the same time make it stay on while the shower light is on. I ABSOLUTELY do not want the shower light to be part of the accent system. Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

rickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

well if your dead set on keeping them on the same switch then there's not alot you can do except maybe adjust the timer on the motion sensor to stay on for say ten minutes instead of five. Or instead of a motion snesor put a timer switch in so that the person entering the bathroom can pick how long they want the fan/accent to stay on for.

Advertisement

andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

in my world, this is quite simple to do but trying to make the required parts fit into the resi world is the challenge. All you have to do is use paralleled relays to operate the fan. One would be controlled by the sensor; the other by the switch that operates the lights for the shower.

this way, if the sensor activates the accent lights, the fan goes on.

if the shower light is turned on, it activates the fan.

if the shower light is turned off, if the sensor is still activating the accent lights, the fan will still run until the timer shuts the accent light stuff off.

so, in other words, if either system is active, the fan is on. Only if both systems are inactive would the fan be off.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,326

Wire the load side of the detector to the lights, but also to a timer, and the load side of the timer to the fan, and switch the shower light separately.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Wire the load side of the detector to the lights, but also to a timer, and the load side of the timer to the fan, and switch the shower light separately.
the motion sensor will just cut power to the timer after the prescribed time regardless of what the timers set to.

I was thinking about using a set of contacts as well nap. Could prove pretty costly though just to keep a fan on
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
the motion sensor will just cut power to the timer after the prescribed time regardless of what the timers set to.

I was thinking about using a set of contacts as well nap. Could prove pretty costly though just to keep a fan on
not really unless you consider $20-$30 costly.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote