Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
DIY

Share |
Question

BX Wiring

I've read that it is not ideal to coil electrical wiring due to the possibility of heat. Is this true in all cases and all types of wiring? I have some BX wiring that is too long since I moved some stuff around and am trying to figure out if I should just coil it a few times, or, cut it down to size.

Can you guys let me know if coiling wire is bad with BX? I'm guessing that I should cut it down to size, but wanted to hear from the more experienced.

RocketManZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
DIY

Question

BX Wiring

Anyone?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:11 AM   #3

BX Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketManZ
I've read that it is not ideal to coil electrical wiring due to the possibility of heat. Is this true in all cases and all types of wiring? I have some BX wiring that is too long since I moved some stuff around and am trying to figure out if I should just coil it a few times, or, cut it down to size.

Can you guys let me know if coiling wire is bad with BX? I'm guessing that I should cut it down to size, but wanted to hear from the more experienced.
I have zero clue what you mean by coiling, can you please explain you question.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

BX Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketManZ View Post

If you have less than 4 tightly spaced wraps, it should definitely be fine (based on the NEC's 7-conductor limit for thermal derating). More than that could pose some risk of excessive heat. Really you would have to have a fairly large coil of wire under heavy load before it would get noticeably hot.

But BX? As in actual BX with no separate grounding conductor, not MC or new AC cable which look sort of like the old BX? That hasn't been used for decades - and shouldn't be.

Last edited by mpoulton; 02-01-2012 at 02:56 AM.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #5

BX Wiring

The longer the cable,the greater the voltage drop due to resistance.Also, the job would look cleaner without excess cable.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
DIY

BX Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
If you have less than 4 tightly spaced wraps, it should definitely be fine (based on the NEC's 7-conductor limit for thermal derating). More than that could pose some risk of excessive heat. Really you would have to have a fairly large coil of wire under heavy load before it would get noticeably hot.

But BX? As in actual BX with no separate grounding conductor, not MC or new AC cable which look sort of like the old BX? That hasn't been used for decades - and shouldn't be.
Coils, Wraps, that is what I meant. Sounds like a few wraps are ok then based on what you mentioned in the NEC.

Not sure if it is actual BX or not, it says 10TW 600V on it. It comes from an addition that was done in the 1960-1970's and the rest of the house has typical old school BX with the ground running through the box and wire sheathing. I have to look again, but I don't think there was an actual ground wire, just 2-10 gauge wires.

I needed to extend the location of the thermostat so I pulled the original BX style wire to the basement, put a metal junction box, and then used 10 NM-B to go from the junction to the thermostat. Sound ideal?
Old 02-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

BX Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketManZ View Post
Coils, Wraps, that is what I meant. Sounds like a few wraps are ok then based on what you mentioned in the NEC.

Not sure if it is actual BX or not, it says 10TW 600V on it. It comes from an addition that was done in the 1960-1970's and the rest of the house has typical old school BX with the ground running through the box and wire sheathing. I have to look again, but I don't think there was an actual ground wire, just 2-10 gauge wires.

I needed to extend the location of the thermostat so I pulled the original BX style wire to the basement, put a metal junction box, and then used 10 NM-B to go from the junction to the thermostat. Sound ideal?
I assume this is for electric baseboard heat, right? That should be OK. If it doesn't have a separate grounding conductor or at least a continuous bonding strip (a small bare metal strip inside the cable) then it must be considered ungrounded and should not be extended or re-used.

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote