Buzzing LED's In One Room - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 270

Buzzing LED's in one room

Hey All,

I'm experiencing some problems w/ a newly built room. Wiring is all replaced into two new circuits (1 20a for receptacles and 1-2 lights here and there, 1 15a for the rest of the lights and a few old receptacles). There are four Commercial Electric LED cans on a three way run off of a Lutron Maestro dimmer/companion pair. There are another two cans w/ PAR30 LED's run on a three way w/ a Lutron C-L 3-way dimmer and regular 3-way Decora switch.

The trouble is w/ that I'm noticing a buzzing/humming noise from all the lights. I just installed all the switches so I could button up the wals (previously I had some old non dimming 3-ways in there while doing the work). I didn't really notice a ton of noise before, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there either. I pulled out the switches and found that I had lazily wired grounds and neutrals between the two circuits where they share a box. I figured I found the culprit but alas the noise persists.

The different three way legs share neutral/ground in another box, and both legs get line voltage from two different wires, though they ultimately end up in the same J-box in the attic, so I don't see how that could cause a problem (plus there's really no other way to wire it w/o abandoning a neutral). Before I go pulling all the switches I figured I'd ask for some advice. It seems odd that one switch could cause two different sets of lights to buzz, so maybe it is what it is. The ceilings in that room are only 7 1/2' high also, so maybe they are just closer to my ears thus easier to notice.

Thanks and appreciate any opinions!

Advertisement

giansean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 399

Re: Buzzing LED's in one room

Did you buy new dimmers switches that are compatible with LED's?

If not, that maybe your problem. But even the new dimmers can make the LED's buzz. It seems that the more LED's in series on a circuit then more noise. Chandeliers with many LED lights can be outright obnoxious.

If it bothers you, then you may just have to go back to incandescent.

Advertisement

DanS26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DanS26 For This Useful Post:
giansean (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #3

Yeah definitely... the C-L dimmer is specifically made for LED, and the Maestro set is compatible, plus I used it on a four-way setup downstairs and no buzz.

You may be right though... it might just be the way it will be. BTW for giggles I tried swapping out a few different bulb/trim types, and they still all made some noise

Old 01-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 22

Definitely getting some form of noise from something. Could be a defective bulb. Though I did have a old fridge that was running cause a few issues a few years back. Does the flicker variable with the dimmer movement?
Yorkranger84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yorkranger84 For This Useful Post:
giansean (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkranger84 View Post
Definitely getting some form of noise from something. Could be a defective bulb. Though I did have a old fridge that was running cause a few issues a few years back. Does the flicker variable with the dimmer movement?
I can try swapping them all out but even across two different circuits there is humming (ie they both do it). None of them are flickering, just hum/buzz at different intensities (none of them are super severe, but it's definitely noticeable)
Old 01-21-2017, 01:08 AM   #6

For giggles I tried swapping them with some new trims to see if it would help. I've found that some units just make more noise than others. On the other hand, it seems one of the cans in particular is causing the most hum/buzz, irrespective of the light installed within. Could there be something not right w/ the can itself? Or the wiring?

Advertisement