Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Ricky

Rewards Points: 10

Buzzing fusebox

Hi, I was hoping someone may be able to tell me why, when I turn on the lights (either of two) in my kitchen, there's a buzzing sound from my fusebox?

Any guidance would be welcomed.

Many thanks.

Richard Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Buzzing fusebox

You probably have a loose connection. Call an electrician now. Do not pass GO do not Collect 200 dollars. (remember the monopoly game)

Seriously you may have a serious problem. Get someone to fix it now.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
Insert catchy title here

Rewards Points: 75

Buzzing fusebox

You don't need to call an electrician (you have one speaking to you right now).

It is likely a loose connection in the breaker box. Just turn off the main breaker, and double check that all the connections (besides those going to the main breaker) are tight.

If they are all tight, then you likely have a defective breaker that needs replaced.

Have fun, and be safe!
AppleMac*Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Buzzing fusebox

Do you have flourescent lights? Are you sure it's coming from the fusebox and not the light fixtures themselves?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
Ricky

Buzzing fusebox

Cheers all,

Got spots, two sets, definately not comming from the fittings, the fusebox is in a different room.

How do I change a breaker, the unit looks sealed.

Rich
Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Buzzing fusebox

Be CAREFUL.

It could be Africanized killer bees.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Buzzing fusebox

Changing the breaker is usually not a problem (depending of type, or brand.) Shut off the main breaker, which will kill power to the box and buss bars. Assuming it's a GE type breaker (hooks to a tab, then snaps down of tabs of the buss bar) just rock it from the center to the outside and remove it. Check to see if there is any burning, black or pitted, marks on the buss bar. If there is, there is a real good chance that the problem will again rear it's ugly head. Use an empty space, or if the box is full you may be able to find tandem breakers, made for the box (two breakers designed to fit in one space.) If you can see the make and model of the box take that to a electrical supply house and they can make sure you have the right breaker. I'm sorry, but USUALLY the help at the Big Box stores don't have the experience to know what tandems will fir what box.
Johnboy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,008

Buzzing fusebox

Do you have fuses or breakers? You have said "fusebox" twice in this thread. If you are not sure, I am clearly concerned for your safety. You also mentioned "the breaker was sealed". Its either breakers or fuses. Did you take off the cover to the "fusebox" "breaker box". The cover is designed to keep unqualified persons out. If you are not able to access the fuses or breakers or whatever you have, STOP! Call an Electrician.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
Ricky

Buzzing fusebox

Cheers J.V., it's a breaker box & the cover's still on! Thanks for your concern but I'm not about to touch anything unless I'm 100% sure what it is!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Rewards Points: 250

Buzzing fusebox

Does the buzzing persist or does it just happen when the lights are immediately turned on? It could be drawing electricity near the capacity of the breaker. I have heard this sound when motors turn on such as with a pump or compressor but then it stops once running. The starting amps are much higher than running amps. What else is powered by this breaker?
handyman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
Ricky

Buzzing fusebox

Just when I turn the lights on! This has just started after about three years of use. The circuit is the downstairs lighting circuit.

The breaker, in an "MK Sentry - consumer unit", is LN5905, 5A, 240/415V, BS3871, M6 Type 2 - If that's of any help.

Cheers

Rich
Old 01-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,008

Buzzing fusebox

Richard, I am glad you took no offense to my post. Everyone has limits. Just as I would not consider working on medium voltage. I would have this problem checked out right away as it could lead to a fire. Buzzing is not always serious, but should be addressed immediately.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #13
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Rewards Points: 250

Buzzing fusebox

Rich, It sounds like you might be at the capacity of that particular circuit. If electrical work is not within your comfort zone, you might want to have an electrician thin out the circuit to have less items on it. Again, buzzing is not necessarily a hazard, just something that should be evaluated. Also, it does not persist once the lights are on so that is good.

handyman78 is offline   Reply With Quote