Burying UF Cable - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
Rze
Average Joe

Rewards Points: 77

Burying UF Cable

I need to run a remote outlet. Planning to use UF 12/2. three questions:

1) is there a required standard depth or is it regoinal specific (I am in NJ)?

2) I assume I will com out of the building into a pipe that will take the wireu underground. What is the transition from this pipe to just cable?

3) Similarly on the other end, what is the proper way to transition from underground to the new outlet?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Rze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Burying UF Cable

1) I'm going off memory here, so hopefully someone will confirm these measurements. The NEC requires a conductor to be 18" below grade if not in conduit. If in conduit, it can be 12" below grade. If under at least 2" of concrete, any depth is ok.

2) Most people use schedule 40 pvc electric conduit. If it is in an area that is subject to physical damage, use schedule 80. You can use an LB pull box to turn 90* down and make pulling the wire easier. Technically, you're supposed to use a bushing on the end of the pipe but I wouldn't hassle anyone about that if they're using PVC and the cut is deburred. You can use sweeps instead of elbows to make underground 90* turns. Remember that the more changes in direction, the more difficult (or impossible) it will be to pull the wire.

3) I'd use a sweep 90* underground and a vertical piece of conduit to come up out of the ground and into the box. Be sure to use a weatherproof box. I'd suggest mounting the box to a short post set in a little concrete. That way if someone bumps it the conduit won't get damaged.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:38 AM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,464

Burying UF Cable

Direct bury is 24" unless the 20 amp circuit is gfci protected at the source then it can be 12 inches.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 250

Burying UF Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Direct bury is 24" unless the 20 amp circuit is gfci protected at the source then it can be 12 inches.
Agreed. If the run is in PVC, 18" is the minimum depth.
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 250

Burying UF Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rze View Post
I
2) I assume I will com out of the building into a pipe that will take the wireu underground. What is the transition from this pipe to just cable?

3) Similarly on the other end, what is the proper way to transition from underground to the new outlet?

Thanks in advance!
I would use conduit the entire way. PVC is cheap - I paid $1.09 a stick yesterday. Sweeps and fittings are a little more, but if you ever need to replace, or upgrade, no digging.
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,008

Burying UF Cable

If you use UF cable you do not need conduit. UF cable is rated for direct burial. If you use Conduit you don't need UF cable. With conduit use THWN wire. Individual wires.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #7

Burying UF Cable

Quote:
Whoops! Thanks for correcting me...Sorry for the bad info!
Old 07-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,464

Burying UF Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Whoops! Thanks for correcting me...Sorry for the bad info!
Hey if thats the biggest mistake you make consider yourself lucky after all you did say you you were going off memory.....

BTW those of us who have followed your posts have figured out that you ain't no dummie.....
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:56 PM   #9

Burying UF Cable

Quote:
Hey if thats the biggest mistake you make consider yourself lucky after all you did say you you were going off memory.....

BTW those of us who have followed your posts have figured out that you ain't no dummie.....
Thanks for the compliment Stubbie. Back at ya!

I carry a few cheat sheets with me at work, and one of them is the NEC's burial depths, obviously for good reason.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:01 AM   #10
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Burying UF Cable

KC-

You are the bomb. Not only do you know the NEC very well, from my lurkings in other forums, you know other codes very well, too. You are a good soul, my friend!

Jimmy
Old 07-20-2008, 12:10 AM   #11

Burying UF Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
KC-

You are the bomb. Not only do you know the NEC very well, from my lurkings in other forums, you know other codes very well, too. You are a good soul, my friend!

Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy, but I have to correct you. I suck when it comes to the NEC. I aspire to know the NEC very well, but I'm not there yet. I work mainly on large residential projects in the city I currently work for, as we have very little commercial. I've found myself in a rut and wasn't learning code like I used to, so I go online and read to try to keep sharp (it doesn't always work, as I proved earlier in this thread). Get me on a service for a large commercial building and I get pretty rusty and have to go to the book quite a bit!

I learn better from doing things and talking about them than I do by reading code. I learn an incredible amount of things by going on online forums, and appreciate all the tradespeople and knowledgeable folks that spend time on this site, plumbingzone, contractortalk, and electriciantalk.

Advertisement