Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Share |

Burying Coax Cable

Hoping this is the correct area for this question....

I would like to bury the coax cable for my cable tv in the ground, but have a few questions first.

I am pretty certain that the line is rated for direct bury, I'll of course double check, but I'm actually thinking of pulling it through some 3/4" gray PVC electrical conduit just for added protection. I know a bit overkill, but I have dogs that tend to sometimes dig and the most direct path is very near a very large maple tree and a medium sized mulberry tree. I figure if in the PVC, if the tree encroaches, it's better protected in PVC..... I also don't really plan to bury it, but lay it on top of the ground right between fence posts and fence boards and cover with mulch for most of the distance. Any issues with this?

Next, if I come out of the PVC, how do I terminate the end near the pole? I asked the cable company about this a few years back and I'm sure they said they would just direct bury it, so do I just stop the PVC and plug the end after the cable goes through or use a weather head?

What about splices??? Is it a bad idea to have a splice? If not and if it's inside the conduit, do i need a gel splice or will just any splice do?

I'm actually hoping the cable company will come out and pull a new line for me, but if they won't, well.... Even though, I really want it burried for aesthetic reasons, I actually think I have a geat case to get the cable company to do it for free if I can get the conduit ready to go. When they installed the line originally, they ran it right between a fork in the maple tree and I had to retighten the cable the other day, because the tree was growing up to it and rubbing, when I checked the cable a small section of the insulation had rubbed off. So I want to be prepared when I call them to have them come out and check the line.

Any suggestions on best practices for this is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Master Brian; 05-04-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #2

Burying Coax Cable

min 18"bury.out of ground up pole 24".if they will pull in cable,let um.if not,ask how much cable they want out of conduit.

oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #3

Burying Coax Cable

I'm thinking of burying the coax to my house as well.

I can't find much info on this endeavor though.

I want to bury the Coax from the pole to the connections at my house, about 25 feet away. I figure just get a new direct bury cable, run it down the pole and to the house. Can't be that hard but actual info is hard to come by.
acme54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #4

Burying Coax Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme54321 View Post
I'm thinking of burying the coax to my house as well.

I can't find much info on this endeavor though.

I want to bury the Coax from the pole to the connections at my house, about 25 feet away. I figure just get a new direct bury cable, run it down the pole and to the house. Can't be that hard but actual info is hard to come by.
Yes, it is for some reason. I actually plan on putting mine in that gray pvc conduit used for electrical, just because I don't want to screw up and hit it with a shovel or have a tree grow into it. For ~$20 seems to be cheap insurance!

I actually haven't gotten around to dong mine yet, but did speak to a linesman for the cable company and he said just run the conduit to the pole and to the box and they'd pull it through as long as I leave something to tie the cable onto. He said they'd then silicone the end of the PVC near the pole and that's all that needed done. Simple enough for me!

I do think they'd normally charge for this, but I think I will be able to sneak by that because the current cable goes right through a fork in a large tree and has become nicked from rubbing, so since they have to replace it anyway, I don't think they'll care how they have to run it! Of course if they do, I'll likely wait until they leave and pull it through myself.....
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #5

Burying Coax Cable

I used 3/4" ABS water line for my coax to a satellite dish. Its dirt cheap and is flexible, yet gives an element of protection against critters etc.
To fish it, I vacuumed a string through it, using a wad of cotton batten tied to the string.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote