Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Burried Service, who owns what?

I know this will vary some with the utility. I am on We Energies. I just wanted to get an idea of how this works before I start having the utility people come out for estimates and such.

I have overhead service and am considering changing to underground. My neighbors have buried service, so I know the power co will do it.

With overhead, I know the customer runs the wires up to the mast head / drip loops where the butt splices are made.

With underground service, would the customer typically run (pay for) conductors back to the junction on the pole / transformer where there service connects? or would the power co incur the cost up to the meter?

Thanks
Jamie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Help Uploading Photos?
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

I don't know about changing a service, but for new construction, at least in my part of the country, for single phase services, the utility comes to you. For 3-phase, you go to them.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #3

my power co. owns it to the meter extra 3bucks a month to have underground
skeeter 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #4

No charge to bury in my area. But only on a service upgrade or change. They own everything feeding the meter. Everything after the meter belongs to the HO.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
No charge to bury in my area. But only on a service upgrade or change. They own everything feeding the meter. Everything after the meter belongs to the HO.

I am going to have to check and see if it works the same way here. I would be thrilled if I can run underground. I'd burry the phone too. I had figured it would be really costly.

Thank you
Jamie

Old 02-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #6

I buried my service too
Here - overhead wires they install to the meter
Underground you run out to the pole at your cost & they connect
I've always hated the overhead wires
And with my addition they would be hanging right in the way
I ran 3 conduits, 1 for electric, 2nd has Verizion FIOS cable - phone & TV, 3rd is empty right now
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I buried my service too
Here - overhead wires they install to the meter
Underground you run out to the pole at your cost & they connect
I've always hated the overhead wires
And with my addition they would be hanging right in the way
I ran 3 conduits, 1 for electric, 2nd has Verizion FIOS cable - phone & TV, 3rd is empty right now
How deep did you have to bury them and what kind of conduit? I assume the NEC does not apply until you hit the meter socket and the utility co rules apply.

The ground in my area is litterly rock. They had to blast for the foundation when the house was built.
Jamie

Old 02-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

The power company always owns and maintains for free everything up to their meter. I too went underground. Dug 850 trench 48" down. Spent two weeks cutting through granite. Fortunately I have all my own equipment. They set a transformer near my shop for a new 400 amp service. Removed 4 poles. Now the gardens are not blocked by wires. I paid for all the work and the conduit. They charged me $10,000 for their part. The phone company added $1250 for their work. The cable wanted $750, so I am using a satellite dish now.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
The power company always owns and maintains for free everything up to their meter.
NO, not always.

In my area the POCO will come into your property about 125' with overhead lines if you want. After that your cost.

For underground it is all the customer's cost, including digging, the transformer pad, wire (primary AND secondary) and riser 10' up the POCO pole.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
The power company always owns and maintains for free everything up to their meter.
NO, not here either, homeowner pays for it all the way to the pole

I buried about 30" deep
They wanted 24" to the top of the pipe - under a driveway
Trench had to be inspected w/sand, grounding rods & conduit in place before being backfilled. I used reg electric PVC

300.5 covers depths, maybe you have another option for depth
Old 02-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
NO, not always.

In my area the POCO will come into your property about 125' with overhead lines if you want. After that your cost.

For underground it is all the customer's cost, including digging, the transformer pad, wire (primary AND secondary) and riser 10' up the POCO pole.

What it looks like they did at the house behind me is run wire down a wood pole, cover it with a metal shield, then it enters the ground. I think it just runs stright to a meter pedstal on the house then. Does that seem normal for in the city for when the transformers are on the pole?
Jamie

Old 02-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #12

Here we only have the meter outside
On the telephone pole is a heavy duty galvy (?) pipe on the backside of the pole away from the street. It goes 10' up, required by POCO. Transition to conduit & goes underground all the way to the house

Old 02-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
Remodeling Contractor

Even though you pay for it or they pay for it. The own it once power is connected, up to the meter. You must provide access to your property
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Even though you pay for it or they pay for it. The own it once power is connected, up to the meter. You must provide access to your property
I don't get this comment. Are you saying they literally own it, or are you just being sarcastic because of the access issue.

If you provide it YOU own and maintain it. The POCO does NOT own the UG lateral, be it primary or secondary, if you provide and install it.

Bob, the rules and procedures are not the same everywhere.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
On the telephone pole is a heavy duty galvy (?) pipe on the backside of the pole away from the street. It goes 10' up, required by POCO.
Our POCO started letting us use Sch80 PVC a few years ago. Thank goodness!