Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

burning smell from outlet(female knowing nothing about electrical)

hello,
i am unsure if i am posting in right section as i am new to this, but am up late unable to sleep because i am freaked out. i noticed a burning smell like plastic melting a few days ago, it went away so i ignored it, now tonight sitting in my living room and smelled it and it got really strong, the only thing in the outlet where the smell was coming from was baby proof plug ins. so i took them out. took off plate of outlet didnt look like anything was burning. but i still can smell it , its really strong. i just turned off my breaker for the living room where that outlet runs to, am i safe until tomorrow to get an electrician here since i turned the breaker off? or do i need to call someone immediately? some please respond asap.its just me and my two children in my home and am scared to go to bed now.

melissaprice57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,932

No one here can answer that-----Has the smell stopped now that the breaker is off?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
pest control operator

Rewards Points: 250

Mellisa: let us know what you find. I can only imagine how disconcerting this must be.
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Let us know what you did.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,036

Were you using an appliance that draws a lot of power (for example a hair dryer) in that room or perhaps the next room? Not necessarily plugged into that outlet (receptacle).

There could be a loose connection at that location where the wires continue on (in a daisy chain) to other outlets. and when lots of power is drawn through a loose connection, that spot gets hot.

When you turn off the breaker to that outlet (and plug something in there and it does not work just to be sure) then you can assume it is safe. (There are a few obscure exceptions that probably don't apply to an ordinary double outlet.)

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-30-2011 at 11:03 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burning, smell