DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Building a house

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  zappa 
#1 ·
Hi, We need to run approx. 1000 ft of electrical wire underground in PVC to a new transformer box to hook into a new house. Do you have any idea an approx estimate cost for the material of wire and PVC? Also, what does a new transformer box cost? Thanks

#4 ·
Hi, We need to run approx. 1000 ft of electrical wire underground in PVC to a new transformer box to hook into a new house.
Just got a spec from my PUD, and the maximum distance for a secondary like you are describing is ~200 feet.

FYI, I ran 3" sched 40 and 4/0 aluminum triplex. I got the triplex for $2.31/ft, and the sched 40 was $12.50/10 foot stick. I had a 130' run.

Don't go to the big box stores for the wire. Lowe's and HD wanted about $3.50 per foot for the wire.

Todd

#5 ·
The best answer is talk to the POCO to run the primary underground and they can set the transfomer closer to your house it will be somehow cheaper this way than try to run PVC conduit and with Sérieux sized conductors.

The cost in that part., there is pretty wide varation of the cost so you may want to check it around but I rather you run this by the POCO first to see what they can do and also they will keep the secondary size from the transfomer to the meter genrally 200 feet distance.

Merci,
Marc

#6 ·
I get the impression that you got a quote from an electrician and are trying to break his price down to time and material. Am I close? :whistling2:

Reactions: jbfan
#7 ·
This is a primary extension.

Check a few electrical supply houses for conduit prices. They will most likely be far cheaper than the big box stores for that quantity.

Are you sure that you have to purchase the wire and transformer? Normally the power company supplies and retains ownership of these items.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.