Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building a house

Hi, We need to run approx. 1000 ft of electrical wire underground in PVC to a new transformer box to hook into a new house. Do you have any idea an approx estimate cost for the material of wire and PVC? Also, what does a new transformer box cost? Thanks

DIYbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Building a house

Have your electric company put the service within a reasonable distance. What you want to do is ridiculous.

electures (05-21-2012), rrolleston (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Building a house

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYbeliever View Post
Hi, We need to run approx. 1000 ft of electrical wire underground in PVC to a new transformer box to hook into a new house. Do you have any idea an approx estimate cost for the material of wire and PVC? Also, what does a new transformer box cost? Thanks
You will want the transformer closer the conduit and wire size to compensate for voltage drop will be really expensive.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Building a house

Quote:
Hi, We need to run approx. 1000 ft of electrical wire underground in PVC to a new transformer box to hook into a new house.
Just got a spec from my PUD, and the maximum distance for a secondary like you are describing is ~200 feet.

FYI, I ran 3" sched 40 and 4/0 aluminum triplex. I got the triplex for $2.31/ft, and the sched 40 was $12.50/10 foot stick. I had a 130' run.

Don't go to the big box stores for the wire. Lowe's and HD wanted about $3.50 per foot for the wire.

Todd
Newbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Building a house

Quote:
The best answer is talk to the POCO to run the primary underground and they can set the transfomer closer to your house it will be somehow cheaper this way than try to run PVC conduit and with Sérieux sized conductors.

The cost in that part., there is pretty wide varation of the cost so you may want to check it around but I rather you run this by the POCO first to see what they can do and also they will keep the secondary size from the transfomer to the meter genrally 200 feet distance.

Merci,
Marc
Old 05-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

Building a house

Quote:
I get the impression that you got a quote from an electrician and are trying to break his price down to time and material. Am I close?
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
jbfan (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,102

Building a house

This is a primary extension.

Check a few electrical supply houses for conduit prices. They will most likely be far cheaper than the big box stores for that quantity.

Are you sure that you have to purchase the wire and transformer? Normally the power company supplies and retains ownership of these items.

zappa is offline   Reply With Quote