Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Buck boost transformer

Hi my name is herbausa and trying to find an answer for my problem. Installing a CNC ROUTER in my garage, everything running smooth: ROUTER, PUMP WATER and SPINDLE run at 220 from same outlet. My outlet is an delivery 240v. router and pump water run but the spindle don't move. tecnical assistant from the seller of CNC ROUTER told me to buy and install a buck booster transformer to lower the volt from my outlet from 240 to 220. Does it make any sense to anyone? If I am not enough clear please reply so I will try a better explanation.

herbausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Buck boost transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbausa View Post
Hi my name is herbausa and trying to find an answer for my problem. Installing a CNC ROUTER in my garage, everything running smooth: ROUTER, PUMP WATER and SPINDLE run at 220 from same outlet. My outlet is an delivery 240v. router and pump water run but the spindle don't move. tecnical assistant from the seller of CNC ROUTER told me to buy and install a buck booster transformer to lower the volt from my outlet from 240 to 220. Does it make any sense to anyone? If I am not enough clear please reply so I will try a better explanation.
Is there a VFD or other electronic control that is supposed to operate the spindle motor but isn't working? If so, does it show an error code that corresponds to over-voltage? If the answer to either of these questions is "no", then a buck-boost transformer will not solve the problem. Personally, I think it's very unlikely that the system voltage is causing this issue. Equipment rated for 220V nominally is actually intended to be used on a 240V system (just like "460V" motors are for 480V systems). Have you measured the voltage at the input to the machine? What is it?

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
herbausa (02-01-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Buck boost transformer

look at the data plate on the equipment to see what the listed voltage is. Measure the voltage supply.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
herbausa (02-01-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #4

Buck boost transformer

Hi mpoulton, Thanks for your answer. Yes it has an inverter that connects the spindle to the rest of the machine(cnc router) and even if I disconnect the spindle it shows a error msg in it's screen. accordingly with the inverter book it shows: probable cause: "load occurs mutation" and solution: "decrease load fluctuation"
Old 02-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Buck boost transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbausa View Post
Hi mpoulton, Thanks for your answer. Yes it has an inverter that connects the spindle to the rest of the machine(cnc router) and even if I disconnect the spindle it shows a error msg in it's screen. accordingly with the inverter book it shows: probable cause: "load occurs mutation" and solution: "decrease load fluctuation"
Searching for that "engrish" phrase led me to a manual for a Sunfar E300 series inverter, and the manual leads me to believe you are getting error code Fu.03. "Load occurs mutation" is a meaningless mis-translation of something, but the fault description is "over-current during inverter running or stop." That is helpful. It's also helpful to note that there is a separate code for overcurrent during acceleration. What exactly is the motor doing when you get this code? Does it move at all prior to showing this error? Does it make any noise? When you get the error, what happens when you try to clear it by pressing the run/stop key? Does the motor spin freely by hand?
herbausa (02-08-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #6

Buck boost transformer

Hi mpoulton, you are absolutely right, this is the inverter I have in my CNC ROUTER, as a needed answer, yes it works, I mean the engine makes a noise like something spinning inside it, even if I press on/off it keeps running, as for the spindle it don't move and don't make any noise but i can easily spin it manually.
The inverter don't seen to be affected by any bottom I press.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #7

Buck boost transformer

Hi mpoulton, I am still waiting for your answer. Do you think I just should contact a electrician and install the buck boost?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Buck boost transformer

The problem is either with the VFD programming (very likely), or the motor itself (not as likely). You might want to check the wiring between the motor and VFD to verify that it is connected correctly. This may be a 6-lead or 12-lead motor, in which case it is possible to connect the motor improperly. If you have a source of 3-phase power, you might want to connect the motor directly to verify that it works mechanically and electrically. Assuming it does, you should probably read through the VFD manual and try manually operating the motor through the VFD keypad.
herbausa (02-08-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #9

Buck boost transformer

Thanks mpoulton, will try it tomorrow morning.