Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #1

Share |

Broken mount in Juno recessed lighting can

I have a 25-year old house. I have some cans mounted above the showers and I was replacing the trim kit with a flush-mount LED light kit from commercial Electric (T85). I think the can is a Juno TC-102, but not positive.

In removing the existing eyeball from the can, one of the tabs in the can used to attach the trim kit spring wires had snapped off - which explains why the trim kit was sort of not flush with the ceiling. That side was barely being supported, I guess.

How do I fix this so I can attach a new trim kit or light into that can? Or do I have to pull down the ceiling and replace the can?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks.

Tinger17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #2

Try a coil spring?

Bluehawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehawks View Post
Try a coil spring?
Sorry - maybe I didn't describe it well. What broke is the two brackets on the can which holds the retainer spring wires that are attached to a trim kit. These are the attachment wires that allow you to pull it down out of the can and still be attached. They're not power wires, just used to hang the trim kit and add pressure to keep it snug up into the can against the ceiling.

By coil spring, are you suggesting I rig a spring from the top of the can down to the trim kit/light?
Tinger17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinger17 View Post
Sorry - maybe I didn't describe it well. What broke is the two brackets on the can which holds the retainer spring wires that are attached to a trim kit. These are the attachment wires that allow you to pull it down out of the can and still be attached. They're not power wires, just used to hang the trim kit and add pressure to keep it snug up into the can against the ceiling.

By coil spring, are you suggesting I rig a spring from the top of the can down to the trim kit/light?
yes sir
Bluehawks is offline   Reply With Quote