Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Broken Lightbulb = Bad Fixture ???

I walked into our bathroom yesterday and one of the lightbulbs busted and there was glass all over the vanity. It must have just happened as there was small amount of smoke coming from the bulb socket. Obviously the lights were on at the time and the other bulbs working fine.

My question is....could this be a result of a bad fixture or simply just a bad light bulb that couldn't handle the heat? I am just being cautious.

I wanted to ask since this fixture is relative new. I installed it about 3 months ago. Originally had 65W bulbs but quickly replaced them with 45W to reduce the brightness. The bulbs are the globe-type clear glass and within wattage ratings of the fixture.

As mentioned, just want to be careful since it is scary to think this could happen when someone is washing their hands or near the fixture. I am not sure if it just fell out or exploded. Plus that clear glass is nearly impossible to completely clean up as the pieces are tiny and invisible at first.

DK75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,026

Broken Lightbulb = Bad Fixture ???

It is rare for a light bulb to break all by itself and the reason is usually a manufacturing defect.

Sometimes the filament (the part that gives off the light) in an incandescent bulb comes off of its supports and droops close to the glass. This could cause the glass to shatter due to a concentration of heat on one spot of the bulb. Once in awhile the glass might just be too thin at one spot given that bulbs are blown from glass tube stock.

When using compact fluorescents, you are taking your chances if you hold it by the glass when screwing it in. Occasionally there is a thin spot particularly at a sharp bend and the tube breaks.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-22-2010 at 09:51 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote