DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

broken light bulb in ceiling over stairway

8K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  humberguy 
#1 · (Edited)
How can I remove a broken light bulb from a fixture in the ceiling over a stairway?
I can't reach the fixture without a ladder, and I can't use a ladder on the stairs!

#2 ·
If you can reach the fixture shut the power off at the circuit breaker or fuse panel and turn the remnants of the broken bulb out with a pair of needle-nosed pliers.

#3 · (Edited)
I had the same thing happen to me and the only thing I could do was take some scrap wood and build an inverse of the staircase to put an extension ladder on.

Staircase looks like:

_
■|_
■■■|_
■■■■■|_
■■■■■■■|_
■■■■■■■■■|_

Build a structure to look like (ignore the black boxes, html doesn't allow consecutive spaces):

_____
■■|_|
■■■■|

Place that structure on the staircase

_
■|_____
■■■|_|_|
■■■■■|_|
■■■■■■■|_
■■■■■■■■■|_

Make sure your measurements are good and the structure is sound, you don't want to fall.

#4 ·
Or you could clamp a ladder to another horiz. ladder or horiz. board that is held securely down with someone standing on it, and the ladder holding your weight being slightly inclined toward the staircase.
There is very little force on the horiz. board but it does need to be secured.

We had to hang a new light fixture 16' above the floor right above a staircase. We went in from above the ceiling - the area above was accessible.

#5 ·
buy an articulating ladders. I bought a 12 feet ladder for $100. Best buy ever for a ladder. It can do so many positions. Its perfect for stairs also. You can also buy a bigger articulating ladder for higher spots.

You can use that ladder as an 12 feet extension, 6 feet step ladder, 3ft scaffold. Or position the ladder to be on the stairs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.