Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #1

Share |

Broan variable speed motor

I have a Broan #99080349 blower motor that came from a cook top downdraft blower. It's variable speed, but I no longer have the speed controller. I'd like to use this motor in a home project, and I'd like to make it variable speed.

The cable from the motor has a normal 3-prong, 120-volt ac male connector on its end. There are no other wires going to the motor. There is a capacitor mounted on the motor, but there are no other electronics inside or outside the motor. If I plug it directly into a wall outlet, it runs at full speed. The original speed control was a very small unit consisting of a potentiometer and a few components. One of the components was a small inductor, and I think there was an SCR used also, but I can't be certain about the SCR. The specs in the manual say that the maximum ac current is 4.0 amps. So my questions are:

** What type of variable speed motor is this? I really doubt it was variable frequency, because the controller didn't seem complex enough to do such a job. The controller had no heat sink.

** Other than purchasing a new speed controller (which doesn't seem to be readily available), is there any other way to control the speed of this motor? For example, what if I used a light dimmer?

Thanks for any suggestions you can give!

geo

m0t0rgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #2

Broan variable speed motor

Do not use a light dimmer.

Get something like this.

http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php...product=176700

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blower motor, downdraft, variable speed