Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Brinks/ADT house alarm help

I have had a Brinks alarm for years and it is now monitored by ADT. I plan to cancel monitoring in the next few months when my contract expires. I recently cancelled my home phone service since I never use it and to save money. I know show a trouble on the alarm panel because the alarm cannot dial out. I get a beep every so often that I have to silence. Is there a way to disable the alarms dial out feature and clear the trouble light?

jamjr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,002

You have to change the settings via the programming mode. Google the panel for the programming instructions. It is password protected.

Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by electures View Post
You have to change the settings via the programming mode. Google the panel for the programming instructions. It is password protected.
No luck finding a programming manual online. Would like to able to still use audible alarm without monitoring. Guess this is how Brinks prohibits this from happening.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

Just spend the money to have Brinks come in and set the panel up for non-monitored status.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

FYI - Read every single word of your monitoring contract. If it says you must notify them so many days prior to canceling, etc., send a certified return receipt letter to them and keep a copy. Then you will have proof you notified them.

Some of those contracts automatically "renew" for an additional year or whatever if you do not properly cancel them or do not cancel them by the deadline.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
FYI - Read every single word of your monitoring contract. If it says you must notify them so many days prior to canceling, etc., send a certified return receipt letter to them and keep a copy. Then you will have proof you notified them.

Some of those contracts automatically "renew" for an additional year or whatever if you do not properly cancel them or do not cancel them by the deadline.
Ok thanks for the heads up.