Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #1

Share |

Bringing Wires into the Side of a Panel and Number of Wires in a NM Cable Clamp?

This may be a stupid question and I've searched, but every panel I've ever seen (Not too many, mainly online), all the romex is coming into the top of the breaker panel. But the panel has knockouts on the side. Is there a reason all the wires typically come in from the top?

Also, I'm using standard NM metal cable clamps. Are there rules on the number of wires that can be clamped under them going into the panel vs. a standard electrical box? I thought you could do multiple for the panel, but you were only supposed to use 1 on a switch box? Reason being I have an old metal box behind tile that I'm not removing and would like to use 2 wires in that cable clamp, as it had BX in it before, and there is only one knockout available for NM clamps.

Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #2

Bringing Wires into the Side of a Panel and Number of Wires in a NM Cable Clamp?

On my old house with the boxes on the outside of the house, the power from the line feeds into the main from the top. All of the wires going to the house go through knock outs from the bottom and side of the box. My subpannel on my guest house is pretty much the same.

chris_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelaris View Post
This may be a stupid question and I've searched, but every panel I've ever seen (Not too many, mainly online), all the romex is coming into the top of the breaker panel. But the panel has knockouts on the side. Is there a reason all the wires typically come in from the top?
Makes a neater looking job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelaris View Post
Also, I'm using standard NM metal cable clamps. Are there rules on the number of wires that can be clamped under them going into the panel vs. a standard electrical box? I thought you could do multiple for the panel, but you were only supposed to use 1 on a switch box? Reason being I have an old metal box behind tile that I'm not removing and would like to use 2 wires in that cable clamp, as it had BX in it before, and there is only one knockout available for NM clamps.
If "2 wires" means 2 cables, you're good to go.
sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #4

A recessed panel has no ability to allow cables to enter the sides. Flush mount panels are designed to fit into a stud bay. This leaves only the top and bottom available for cables or conduits to enter.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #5

Sorry, yes, by 2 "wires" entering the NM Cable clamp, I meant "cable" not individual wires. I just was making sure I could put 2x 12-2 under one standard 3/8" cable clamp.

As for bringing wires in through the side, I didn't know if there were cable management issues with moving wires later etc... if you brought the wires in through the sides, adding transfer switch later etc... I'll try and bring them through the top since that's the way the electrician who upgraded our panel a few months ago did it.

Thanks!
Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
E2 Electrician

You would need to look at the manufactures instructions on how many cables are allowed per cable clamp, they always list the type and amount on the packaging...
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

I usually just use a clamp for every cable. But once and a while I slip a couple in one clamp to save time. Have not bought any in years since I inherited a bucket full of them. I always have some left over when I replace or upgrade a panel because I slip a couple wires in the same clamp to save time. I still have quite a few left over. So I am not sure about them having a wire rating on them. Larger clamps only one wire per clamp. Larger than 12/2 I only use one wire per clamp.

Last edited by rrolleston; 03-05-2013 at 05:24 PM.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
I usually just use a clamp for every cable. But once and a while I slip a couple in one clamp to save time. Have not bought any in years since I inherited a bucket full of them. I always have some left over when I replace or upgrade a panel because I slip a couple wires in the same clamp to save time. I still have quite a few left over. So I am not sure about them having a wire rating on them. Larger clamps only one wire per clamp.
Like i said, you need to follow the manufactures instructions... and if I ever used one wire per clamp, i would never fit every wire in a panel... lol ...

here is Arlingtons spec sheets... http://www.aifittings.com/reference/...ble-ranges.pdf

Last edited by stickboy1375; 03-05-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Like i said, you need to follow the manufactures instructions... and if I ever used one wire per clamp, i would never fit every wire in a panel... lol ...

here is Arlingtons spec sheets... http://www.aifittings.com/reference/...ble-ranges.pdf
I probably have a dozen or more different brands. When I change a panel out I pull them out of the old panel when I am done. Call me cheap
Old 03-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
I probably have a dozen or more different brands. When I change a panel out I pull them out of the old panel when I am done. Call me cheap
yeah, you wasted more labor removing them then the cost of a new one...
Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
Lic Electrical Inspector

I prefer the T&B 3201's. They are listed for two cables.

Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is online now   Reply With Quote