Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #1

Share |

Briggs and Stratton generator part

I've installed a Briggs and Stratton standby generator and automatic transfer switch. It comes from the factory set up to run off of natural gas, but I have propane, and there is a simple conversion kit provided. In order to do the conversion, I had to remove the "3/4 inch cap", which is at the very bottom of the carburetor in the attached diagram (see the red arrow). Somehow, I managed to lose this "3/4 inch cap" and until I replace it, my "generator" is nothing more than a 280 pound paperweight. It turns out that Briggs and Stratton does not have this part available---I'd need to buy the entire carburetor (about $80 with shipping) just to get this $2 part. Any suggestions (however farfetched) as to how or where I might possibly find a replacement "3/4 inch cap" would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, the "3/4 inch cap" is about 3/4 inch at the exposed end, but it screws into threads that are very nearly 1/4 inch (not actually 1/4 inch but, apparently, some metric size that is slightly less than 1/4 inch).
Attached Thumbnails
Briggs and Stratton generator part-temp1.jpg  

Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #2

6mm would be about 1/4 inch. Could you get a 6mm bolt of the proper pitch and seal it with some sealer? Or is it using the 3/4 inch part to seal with a flat washer seal? If so maype you could fabricate/stack some washers under the bolt head.

Gary

Gary_602z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #3

Have you tried a small engine repair shop? They may have something that fits, or the exact part you need. Be careful about trying to screw something in there if your not sure. You can easily ruin the threads and then you will need the new carb for sure.

Do you have a thread gage?
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Have you tried a small engine repair shop? They may have something that fits, or the exact part you need. Be careful about trying to screw something in there if your not sure. You can easily ruin the threads and then you will need the new carb for sure.

Do you have a thread gage?
No, I don't have a thread gauge. I'd been thinking about (gently...) testing a 6mm and 5mm bolt to determine the proper size. But even if those work, I'd be hesitant to jury rig something, since, I believe, propane flows thru this chamber. That is, an airtight seal is needed, and there will be a fair bit of vibration (think "lawnmower engine").

I gotta believe that this actual part exists somewhere, but when I visited a local small engine place (recommended by several local people) they said it would have to come from Briggs.
Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote