Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Breaker/wire size for jetted tub?

I'm adding a bedroom/bathroom addition and will be installing a hydromassage tub. The data plate on the pump motor says it draws 5.5Amps, so I ran a 14/2 wire for a 15A breaker. Now I'm having second thoughts and wondering if I should have run 12/2 and a 20A breaker? I still have time to change it before the inspector shows up Monday, but it will be a pain so I'd rather not if I don't have to. I haven't seen anything in the NEC that specifically requires 20A for this type of installation, unless I've missed something...

whatwasithinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

I just ran through the code book I didn't see anythig either.
Check the manufactures specifications, it usuasally tell you on the sheet.
Are you using a GFCI breaker or a blind GFCI in the room?
I prefer a blind GFCI in the room just in case of nuisance trips. (you shouldn't get any)

hpp58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

14 awg amd 15 amp gfci breaker is fine for that pump motor and it must be an individual circuit nothing else can share it.
All equipment associated with the hydromassage tub must be gfci protected and the gfci must be readily accessible.
This equipment must be served by individual branch circuits.
All 125 volt receptacles with 6 feet of the inside walls of the tub must also be gfci protected.
All metal associated with the water circulation must be bonded back to the bonding lug of the pump motor unless the motor is double insulated.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

I agree. Nothing in the NEC prohibits this installation.
You are fine.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
All 125 volt receptacles with 6 feet of the inside walls of the tub must also be gfci protected.
Stub,
This is a bathroom, so ALL 125v receptacles must be GFI protected.
But I think you knew that already.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #6

Thanks to each of you who replied... and so quickly too!

No I had not planned to put a "blind" GFCI (I assume you mean what some have called the "faceless" type). I was going to put a standard 15A GFCI receptacle next to the motor. This is a corner tub with the motor at one end. I will provide an easy pull-out panel in the final installation for access to the motor and GFCI. I'm presuming (hoping?) this meets the requirement for "readily accessible".

Nothing else will be connected to this branch circuit.

Being in the bathroom, the entire room will be GFCI protected anyway (on a different 20A circuit).

The entire circulation system is plastic except for the motor, so bonding not necessary (or at least that's my understanding).

I will have a light switch near the tub, but it will be outside the vertical extension of the tub wall, and will also be on a GFCI-protected circuit.

Slightly disturbingly, I never found a manufacturer's instruction sheet when I opened the crate. Don't know if it was forgotten by the packer, or maybe has slipped under the tub (which is currently still sitting on its pallet but with the shipping box removed).
Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
Stub,
This is a bathroom, so ALL 125v receptacles must be GFI protected.
But I think you knew that already.
Hey I'm just qouting code from the 2008 cycle, he is probably on 2005. Anyway of course you're right.

However the code is specific in 680.71 and I think the intent is if the receptacle is within six feet of the tub whether that receptacle is in the defined area for a bathroom or not it is to be gfci. In other words if the tub was up against an interior wall and on the other side of that wall was a receptacle within 6 feet of an inside wall of that tub it would need to be gfci. It states a horizontal distance it says nothing about in the same room.

680.72 is talking about the same room and bathroom receptacles

Thats how I see the language.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #8

Hey I'm just qouting code from the 2008 cycle, he is probably on 2005.

I actually don't know (yet). I was told our county was adopting 2008 on April 8, but I got my permit awhile back. I'm not sure if they go by the permit date, the actual date of inspection, or whatever. I'll know one way or the other on Monday, however.