Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #1

Share |

Breaker replace

Attachment 59988

Attachment 59987

So here is my current situation. This breaker seen here controls this old dryer socket which is no longer used for anything. It's still pulling power from the main panel but for nothing. I can't seem to find anything else in the house that runs off this breaker but the way they pulled power back in the day it could also be powering the most random socket somewhere. But that's of no concern to me right now.

My question is this: is this socket and or the power it's pulling good for anything these days?

I am in the process of researching putting in a sub panel to my main panel with all "essential" breakers I would need in a power outage and having that sub panel run off a LP 6kw generator. My plans are to install the sub panel with a 60a main powered from the main panel with 6 gauge wire and a 30a breaker to power a 4 pronged 30a receptacle with 10gauge wire to plug in the generator. Thus powering only those breakers in the sub panel. Also plan on installing an interlock transfer switch for safety measures.

Open to comments on the above plan of action as well as suggestions. And that brings me back to the original question and pictures.... Could I change that old socket out. Pop out the current breakers install a 60a and use that socket to power the main panel if i shut off the MAIN 100a breaker instead of installing a sub panel. Or would that be not good or backfeeding.

Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #2

Breaker replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie

So here is my current situation. This breaker seen here controls this old dryer socket which is no longer used for anything. It's still pulling power from the main panel but for nothing. I can't seem to find anything else in the house that runs off this breaker but the way they pulled power back in the day it could also be powering the most random socket somewhere. But that's of no concern to me right now.

My question is this: is this socket and or the power it's pulling good for anything these days?

I am in the process of researching putting in a sub panel to my main panel with all "essential" breakers I would need in a power outage and having that sub panel run off a LP 6kw generator. My plans are to install the sub panel with a 60a main powered from the main panel with 6 gauge wire and a 30a breaker to power a 4 pronged 30a receptacle with 10gauge wire to plug in the generator. Thus powering only those breakers in the sub panel. Also plan on installing an interlock transfer switch for safety measures.

Open to comments on the above plan of action as well as suggestions. And that brings me back to the original question and pictures.... Could I change that old socket out. Pop out the current breakers install a 60a and use that socket to power the main panel if i shut off the MAIN 100a breaker instead of installing a sub panel. Or would that be not good or backfeeding.
In case those pics didn't load...
Attached Thumbnails
Breaker replace-image-3571072191.jpg   Breaker replace-image-3072106436.jpg  

Old 11-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Breaker replace

That is a quad breaker the 2 outer terminals are 30 amp 240, the 2 inner terminals are a 40 amp 240 circuit possibly your kitchen range. The 30 amp dryer circuit is #10 wire and is only good for 30 amps not 60.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Breaker replace

Your interlock will need to go on your service panel between the main and the generator breaker. It cannot go in the subpanel.

The receptacle shown does not have a ground that you need either.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #5

Breaker replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port
Your interlock will need to go on your service panel between the main and the generator breaker. It cannot go in the subpanel.

Ok. So what would you do with the receptacle as is? Disconnect it and use the space in the panel for something else?

Also as far as the 30a on that quad breaker.... I don't think it's for my current new range. But I will check tmrw. If its not... Any other suggestions what it might be used for currently if anything? Or should I be looking for another receptacle like the dryer one somewhere?
Old 11-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #6

Breaker replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie

Ok. So what would you do with the receptacle as is? Disconnect it and use the space in the panel for something else?

Also as far as the 30a on that quad breaker.... I don't think it's for my current new range. But I will check tmrw. If its not... Any other suggestions what it might be used for currently if anything? Or should I be looking for another receptacle like the dryer one somewhere?
Sorry I meant the 40a breaker.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Breaker replace

The other issue what I can see there is you have mixed bag of breaker brandname which I can able indentify pretty fast you have ITE , CHBR , and one other oddball breaker so therefore can you take a photo of whole breaker box so we can able indentify the type?

Second thing is what is the model number of this breaker box ? The info will be useally found inside the breaker panel on either side of it otherwise the breaker cover door will mention that.

Merci,
Marc
Old 11-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Breaker replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
...So here is my current situation. This breaker seen here controls this old dryer socket which is no longer used for anything. It's still pulling power from the main panel but for nothing. I can't seem to find anything else in the house that runs off this breaker but the way they pulled power back in the day it could also be powering the most random socket somewhere. But that's of no concern to me right now.

You can NOT use ANY "receptacle" to "power" your panel(s) from a generator. You must use what is called an inlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post

If the OP uses a sub-panel for his emergency circuits, then installing an interlock kit can certainly be installed there.

Second, (see above) NO RECEPTACLE can be used for back-feeding ANYTHING!

Quote:

Get it out of your mind RIGHT NOW! You CANNOT USE A RECEPTACLE in such an application! You MUST use an inlet:

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kbsparky; 11-04-2012 at 04:05 AM.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #9
Licensed Electrician

Breaker replace

The other problem you are going to run into is that with this quad tandem breaker, you will not find an interlock to work properly. You will need to install a sub panel, move some circuits to the sub then install a standard 2 pole breaker to feed the sub.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #10

Breaker replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz
The other problem you are going to run into is that with this quad tandem breaker, you will not find an interlock to work properly. You will need to install a sub panel, move some circuits to the sub then install a standard 2 pole breaker to feed the sub.
Yes I bought a 30a 4 pronged receptacle to install to power the generator. I also bought a 60a double pole breaker to install in the main and also the sub. And also bought a 30a double pole to install in the sub to power the receptacle. How does that all sounds/work?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #11

Breaker replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican
The other issue what I can see there is you have mixed bag of breaker brandname which I can able indentify pretty fast you have ITE , CHBR , and one other oddball breaker so therefore can you take a photo of whole breaker box so we can able indentify the type?

Second thing is what is the model number of this breaker box ? The info will be useally found inside the breaker panel on either side of it otherwise the breaker cover door will mention that.

Merci,
Marc
Here are the pics of the full main panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Breaker replace-image-1449539238.jpg   Breaker replace-image-965919017.jpg   Breaker replace-image-3132759361.jpg   Breaker replace-image-1268453973.jpg   Breaker replace-image-3367600714.jpg  

Old 11-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
" Euro " electrician

Breaker replace

This what I am supecting on that you have GE load centre and you have few breaker is not a proper one.

To order to use the interlock you will have to move the two pole 40 amp breaker on the right side.

Tip,. make sure you check the tandem breakers before you move them to make sure you have full 240 volts on the connection otherwise any item which it required 240 volts will not run. ( if that the case you will have to either move up or down half space it will work )

The breaker you will need for the inlet receptale for generator which other member did posted here that will need to be 30 amp two pole breaker.

Merci,
Marc
Old 11-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #13
Licensed Electrician

Breaker replace

Quote:
Yes I bought a 30a 4 pronged receptacle to install to power the generator. I also bought a 60a double pole breaker to install in the main and also the sub. And also bought a 30a double pole to install in the sub to power the receptacle. How does that all sounds/work?
You CANNOT use a receptacle to backfeed the panel from the generator. As was stated and shown above, you need an INLET.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote