DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Breaker question (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/breaker-question-17346/)

mrsql 02-19-2008 08:00 PM

Breaker question
 
I wired up a new garage heater tonight, it keeps blowing the breaker on the "main panel". The thing is i think the guy that put in the original wiring to the garage did something i think is not right.

The heater is on a 30 amp breaker in a panel in the garage, the main breaker on that panel is 40 amp, but he has it running into the "main panel" in the house thats 15 amp.

That just doesnt make sense to me, it keeps on tripping the 15 amp breaker on the main panel. Can anyone tell me if this is a proper setup, or should I replace the 15 amp breaker with like a 40 amp or something?

InPhase277 02-19-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsql (Post 99476)
I wired up a new garage heater tonight, it keeps blowing the breaker on the "main panel". The thing is i think the guy that put in the original wiring to the garage did something i think is not right.

The heater is on a 30 amp breaker in a panel in the garage, the main breaker on that panel is 40 amp, but he has it running into the "main panel" in the house thats 15 amp.

That just doesnt make sense to me, it keeps on tripping the 15 amp breaker on the main panel. Can anyone tell me if this is a proper setup, or should I replace the 15 amp breaker with like a 40 amp or something?

Yes that's odd. How big is the feed from the house panel? If the wire is larger than #14, you can increase the breaker size.

InPhase277

mrsql 02-19-2008 08:09 PM

Yes its bigger than 14g. So thats what i should do? It would fix my problem?

chris75 02-19-2008 08:12 PM

Tell us what type and size wire the guy ran out to the garage

mrsql 02-19-2008 08:13 PM

It's looks like 8 gauge

chris75 02-19-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsql (Post 99489)
It's looks like 8 gauge

Looks or is? if it is, then change the breaker to a 40... and you'll be good to go.

mrsql 02-19-2008 08:20 PM

I will double check its 8 before i do. Thanks for the help.

joed 02-20-2008 06:15 PM

Mkae sure the entire run from the house to the garage is #8.

Kingsmurf 02-20-2008 06:42 PM

roger that . .the breaker exists . .ONLY to protect the wire insiode the wall
from turning into an toater element . .do NOT under any circumstances replace tha breaker one larger than wire size dictates . .basic safety item

LS1GUY 02-20-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joed (Post 99821)
Mkae sure the entire run from the house to the garage is #8.

Just figured i would chime in here and stress to the op to trace the ENTIRE feed before plus sizing the breaker. My garage has a feed that looks like 3/6 or triplex and should easily take 50 amps, I was getting ready to change the panel in the garage and went to upsize the breaker in the house main and found 12/2 ???? I followed it and in the house attic was a splice from the 12 to the 6 with no mechanical connection and no box!!!! just tape. Had I just swapped the breaker to a 50 I guarantee I would have burned the house down. Please check the entire feed

Andy

CowboyAndy 02-21-2008 06:22 AM

And this is the reason that I am a big believer that whenever you mix and match different wire sizes on a given circuit it should be labeled at the breaker. I am not saying it is a good practice to mix and match, but if you absolutly have to, then make sure it is labeled not only for safety, but to save any future home owners from a major headache!

chris75 02-21-2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CowboyAndy (Post 99947)
And this is the reason that I am a big believer that whenever you mix and match different wire sizes on a given circuit it should be labeled at the breaker. I am not saying it is a good practice to mix and match, but if you absolutly have to, then make sure it is labeled not only for safety, but to save any future home owners from a major headache!


So you think when upsizing for voltage drop I need to tag it that way? I dont think so... You either know what your doing or you don't, separates the men from the boys...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved