Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #1

Share |

Breaker Question

My faher in law was changing a light bulb in their dinning room multiple light fixture, he heard a pop and then lights went out went in the basement it had tripped the breaker. reset the breaker light came back on then after about five minutes went off and hasnt come back on since. also noticed that 2 lights in the basement will not work either. but another weird thing is that on this same breaker there is a light that earlier in the year would not turn off. not sure exactlly were to start troubleshooting any help would be much apperciated.

bealljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Breaker Question

Bad fixture. Really would like to see a picture of this fixture in question, due to the term multiple light fixture could entail many a device.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #3

Breaker Question

Sorry I should have worded that a little better it is a chandelier type light fixture with five sockets on it. Checked the wires that the fixture was connected to and no power. But not sure why a) the lights in the basement no longer work and b) why the other light on the same breaker will not turn off. Hope that clears things up a little.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Breaker Question

That would be because there is a short up in that fixture, that is not working.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #5

Breaker Question

The insulation in old light fixtures can get brittle, crumble, and fall off the wires! Then you get a short. Any sort of movement of the fixture and it can cause the insulation to fall off.

I would replace the light fixture. If old and valuable, have it rewired.

Then the switch which is not working may have "fused" at the contacts when this gush of electricity happened. Or just so happened to fail at this same time. Anyway does the switch sound normal when you flip it on and off? A clicking sound if you have that type?

Might just need to replace that switch.

For now might want to remove the light fixture, and place "wire nuts" on the bare wires in the ceiling.

If you do not feel comfortable doing this stuff, call an electrician. And if it is an easy simple job like this, then the cost will of course be lower.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #6

Breaker Question

Alright, so I will try to clear up this topic to make it easier to reply, my apologies:

3 different problems (in order of occurrence):

1. Light at the bottom of the basement stairs always on
2. Dinning room light not working
3. Two lights down in the basement not working

Note: all of these are on the same circuit breaker. which also includes the kitchen.

So #1, this happened about 6 months ago, one day the light just wouldn't turn off, changed switch, no change.

#2, this happened just the other day. Father-in-law was changing light bulb in dining room fixture, as he was putting the light bulb in there was a pop and the breaker tripped. He then reset the breaker and everything came back on as normal. About five minuets later the light went out and never came back on.

#3, shortly after this happened they realized that the lights in the one area of the basement were out would not work.

Everything else that is tied to that breaker works, and that light at the bottom of the steps does go off when you flip the breaker. Also all of the receptacles in the dining room still work.

What I have checked:

For #1- bought new switch installed, same way as the the old one was, no change.

For #2- dinning room light fixture works (connected a plug to it, lights came on) Checked the wires coming out of the ceiling for voltage, there was none. The switch for this light is a single pole dimmer switch, and is connected to 2 black wires.

For #3- nothing stalled at #2. Figured that they are on the same daisy chain as the light in the dinning room.

I really hope that this clears things up a bit. Again any help is much appreciated.