Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Breaker pops

What I have is a 15 amp light switch, and a 20 amp outlet running directly off a 20 amp GFCI breaker. Plugged into the outlet is the pump for a spa tub. The 15 amp is for the overhead light in a shower stall. Everytime I turn on the light or the pump the breaker pops. What could be causing this and how can I correct it?

Crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Breaker pops

It's possible that you have not connected the neutral wire to the lug on the breaker. From what you describe, it is still connected to the neutral bar assembly.

Remove the proper neutral wire from the neutral bar assembly, and reconnect it to the extra neutral lug on the breaker. Then the circuit should work.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #3

Breaker pops

If new construction, hammering the staples too tightly which secure the romex to wall studs can cause enough of a current loss to trip a GFCI. I have had this problem in the past.

Is the Spa outlet located in an exterior wall, or does the wiring pass underground to a remote location? You really can't use direct burial cable on a GFCI circuit because there is too much current leakage thru the insulation and cable jacket into the soil.

Code specifies a GFCI must trip if 5 mili-amps of current differential exist between the Hot leg and the Neutral leg, they can trip at levels even lower than that.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #4

Breaker pops

@kbspasrky -Thanks. I'll check the neutral wire in the morning.

@MI_Roger- It's new bathroom construction but I used plastic insulated staples so they shouldn't be too tight, but I'll re-check them to be sure. It's all indoor electrical.

I used 10 wire for outlet and 14 wire for the light. Could that make a difference?

Last edited by Crispin; 09-27-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Crispin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, gfci switch/outlet, spa pump