Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #1

Share |

Breaker panel, lack of planning

So a few years back my parents decided to lift thier house up 8 feet above the crawl space they had and install pony walls on the foundation to make it a basement. The breaker panel location for the downstairs was picked I'm assuming becuase its right below where the original panel is on the upstairs of the home. What they didn't take into consideration is that the new panel was in a bathroom and on top of that the foot of the bathtub would only be a few feet away from its location on the wall.
My question is, can i make a little "room" built into the bathroom that's lets say 3' x 3' with a door in it. and this room would have nothing in it but the breaker box. Can I do this to get away from having a breaker box illegally in the bathroom?
Thanks,
Justin

Jstdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
RST
DIY Homeowner

There are minimum space clearances required around a panel. I think your room is large enough but do some digging on the exact dimensions required. (or search on here for "working space around panel" or something like that). RST

RST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
Scared Electrician

For your information having a panel in a bathroom is very dangerous and not code compliant. The moisture not only creates a electrical hazard but is also hard on electrical connections.

The minimum working space in front of a panel is the width of the panel or 30" which ever is wider, note that the 30" does not have to be centered with the panel, 36" deep measured way from the panel front, and 6 1/2 feet tall or to the ceiling. Nothing other than electrical apparatus can occupy this space including storage.

30"x36"x78" NEC 110.26

YOUR BEST BET IS TO MOVE THE PANEL. Which might not be that hard. Do you have any photos?

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote