Breaker OK / Circuit Down (Non GCFI / Arc Fault Issue) - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Breaker OK / Circuit Down (Non GCFI / Arc Fault Issue)

So I heard a buzzing in my breaker when I was working on another project - flipped breakers to isolate the one that was making the buzzing. It was a standard single pole 15 amp breaker - no arc fault. Breaker was controlling 6 outlets in a room. Flipped breaker back on - buzzing resumed but now power to outlets did not return. Flipped it back off and on hard to make sure it was re-set. Still no power. There are no CCFI outlets on the circuit. I removed each of the outlets and verified there are no wiring issues. I tested the circuit breaker itself with a volt meter and it was still putting out 120. So, I know have a circuit breaker with a slight hum to it, just like before, but no power to my outlets. Any ideas?

Advertisement

OlDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Electrican

Rewards Points: 1,586

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlDB View Post
So I heard a buzzing in my breaker when I was working on another project - flipped breakers to isolate the one that was making the buzzing. It was a standard single pole 15 amp breaker - no arc fault. Breaker was controlling 6 outlets in a room. Flipped breaker back on - buzzing resumed but now power to outlets did not return. Flipped it back off and on hard to make sure it was re-set. Still no power. There are no CCFI outlets on the circuit. I removed each of the outlets and verified there are no wiring issues. I tested the circuit breaker itself with a volt meter and it was still putting out 120. So, I know have a circuit breaker with a slight hum to it, just like before, but no power to my outlets. Any ideas?
Something is open. Either the breaker is defective or a splice is open. FWIW, if the meter is high impedance, it might not read accurately. First change the breaker. If nothing happens you will have to trouble shoot the whole circuit.

Advertisement

Jump-start is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #3

Is it possible the breaker is bad even with it tearing out at 120 from hot to the bus?
Old 07-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
Electrican

Quote:
Is it possible the breaker is bad even with it tearing out at 120 from hot to the bus?
Yes, keep in mind a high impedance meter will easily read 120 volts, even from mutual induction from other cables or poor contact within the breaker.

Best way is to swap the breaker if you feel comfortable doing so. Or test it with a pig tail socket and an incandescent light bulb.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #5

Thanks - I will switch the breaker out and see where it takes me.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
Electrican

Quote:
Thanks - I will switch the breaker out and see where it takes me.
Welcome
Old 07-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #7

Replaced the breaker - all works now -
Thanks.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to OlDB For This Useful Post:
Jump-start (07-29-2014)