Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

breaker not popped but no power

Ok so here's the deal I don't gfi outlets my garage is wired to the same breaker as my living room no I didn't do this but anyhow the garage lights work and everythin but my living room outlets are dead and lights no power. This all started when I flipped my tv on in the living room and pop nothing fliped the breaker nothing please help

natrensland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Good god, can't you people write intelligible sentences? I have no idea what the problem is. Please try and think about what you're trying to convey to us.

I did gather that you turned your TV on, and a breaker tripped. Beyond that, I'm at a loss.

sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sirsparksalot For This Useful Post:
Bob3rd (06-09-2011), gregzoll (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsparksalot View Post
Good god, can't you people write intelligible sentences? I have no idea what the problem is. Please try and think about what you're trying to convey to us.

I did gather that you turned your TV on, and a breaker tripped. Beyond that, I'm at a loss.
Ok first off I'm on my blackberry had to get everything typed just right. Let me explain this again I went to flip my tv on and pop all the lights went out in the living room and bathroom. Went into garage and the lights were on in there and there on the same breaker as the living room. I don't have gfi outlefts either. Flipped the breaker anyway still nother no power to any of the living room lights or outlets were do I start to fix it.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrensland View Post
Ok first off I'm on my blackberry had to get everything typed just right. Let me explain this again I went to flip my tv on and pop all the lights went out in the living room and bathroom. Went into garage and the lights were on in there and there on the same breaker as the living room. I don't have gfi outlefts either. Flipped the breaker anyway still nother no power to any of the living room lights or outlets were do I start to fix it.
OK, let's take it step by step. Hang in there with me, and I'll try to help.

Was the breaker tripped when you first checked it?
Did the breaker trip again after you switched it off/on?
Is the breaker on now?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #5

Quote:
OK, let's take it step by step. Hang in there with me, and I'll try to help.

Was the breaker tripped when you first checked it?
Did the breaker trip again after you switched it off/on?
Is the breaker on now?
Nope it wasn't triped and ya breakers still on and nothin to the living room or bathroom garage light is still on though
Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #6

OK, you will need to do some troubleshooting if you think you're up to it (have enough electrical knowledge to make some tests without killing yourself or burning the house down).

You will need an AC voltmeter, or a neon test light to check the outlet that your TV is plugged into. We need to find out if it's getting any voltage. You can use a lamp, or other working appliance if you don't have a voltmeter.

You will also need to map out just how many receptacles aren't working, and their location, relative to the receptacle where your TV is.

Make these checks. Go around your living room and test the outlets. Hopefully you can find one that works so that you can get some temporary light. (I assume it's dark now).
Old 06-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #7

Quote:
OK, you will need to do some troubleshooting if you think you're up to it (have enough electrical knowledge to make some tests without killing yourself or burning the house down).

You will need an AC voltmeter, or a neon test light to check the outlet that your TV is plugged into. We need to find out if it's getting any voltage. You can use a lamp, or other working appliance if you don't have a voltmeter.

You will also need to map out just how many receptacles aren't working, and their location, relative to the receptacle where your TV is.

Make these checks. Go around your living room and test the outlets. Hopefully you can find one that works so that you can get some temporary light. (I assume it's dark now).
Ya did that and nothing I'm startin to wonder if somthin in the addic is shorted out I went everyoutlet one the breaker and there's notthing gota be a short my email by the way is natrensland@gmail.com
Old 06-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #8

We'll keep the discussion here, so that others can benefit, and so that anything I say wrong can be corrected by the pros.

What are you using for a tester?

Are you able to determine which receptacle is first after the breaker panel? It would require physically tracing the cable, or wire from the panel.

You'll need to open up the panel in order to get to the breakers. DO NOT TOUCH anything in there. We need to find out how many wires are connected to the breaker. ALSO, is the breaker a single-pole or double-pole (a double will have two handles tied together). What is the amperage rating on the breaker? What color wires are going to the breaker?

Does the garage light go out when you turn off that breaker?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #9

Quote:
We'll keep the discussion here, so that others can benefit, and so that anything I say wrong can be corrected by the pros.

What are you using for a tester?

Are you able to determine which receptacle is first after the breaker panel? It would require physically tracing the cable, or wire from the panel.

You'll need to open up the panel in order to get to the breakers. DO NOT TOUCH anything in there. We need to find out how many wires are connected to the breaker. ALSO, is the breaker a single-pole or double-pole (a double will have two handles tied together). What is the amperage rating on the breaker? What color wires are going to the breaker?

Does the garage light go out when you turn off that breaker?
Ok lol open the breaker box has a single pole with a single black wire going into it 20amp. When I flip it off the garage light goes off. Crawled into the adict wear I am now trying to trace wires with verry littyle luck
Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #10

Wonder if I should replace the outlets and go from there?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #11

Are all of the wires entering the panel from the attic? Where is the panel, anyway; in the main house garage? Is there a basement?

I don't think going into the attic is needed right now. Probably what has happened is that a wire has come loose, or has burned. You're going to have to open up all of the receptacles, switches and probably the light fixtures. Can be a long job. Somewhere on the circuit you have a bad wire, so look at these before crawling through attics and such.

One thing to note on receptacles are those which are backstabbed. Many of these come loose. It's better to take them out of the back of the recept. and place them around the screw terminals.

Try and find the first receptacle after the breaker panel.
The Following User Says Thank You to sirsparksalot For This Useful Post:
natrensland (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Are all of the wires entering the panel from the attic? Where is the panel, anyway; in the main house garage? Is there a basement?

I don't think going into the attic is needed right now. Probably what has happened is that a wire has come loose, or has burned. You're going to have to open up all of the receptacles, switches and probably the light fixtures. Can be a long job. Somewhere on the circuit you have a bad wire, so look at these before crawling through attics and such.

One thing to note on receptacles are those which are backstabbed. Many of these come loose. It's better to take them out of the back of the recept. and place them around the screw terminals.

Try and find the first receptacle after the breaker panel.
Ya all the wires go right into the adict from the garage I'm tryin to find the first rceptecal I'm not sure though
Old 06-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #13

you never did say what kind of tester you have.

Are you absolutely sure there's no GFCI in the house?

Also, are you absolutely positive that you're working the correct breaker? If you're going by the panel directory, don't. Switch completely OFF, then switch back ON every breaker in that panel (except the Main, of course - if it wasn't on, nothing would be).

Post back after you do this.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #14

Quote:
you never did say what kind of tester you have.

Are you absolutely sure there's no GFCI in the house?

Also, are you absolutely positive that you're working the correct breaker? If you're going by the panel directory, don't. Switch completely OFF, then switch back ON every breaker in that panel (except the Main, of course - if it wasn't on, nothing would be).

Post back after you do this.
Ya I'm 100 percent there's no gfci and positive on the breaker I had to switch light bases in garage to flouresent so I know were all the breakers go lol but yes I tried that anyway before I did anything else oh and the tester is. A 3 prong outlet tester
Old 06-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #15

OK, well you're going to have to start opening up receptacles and checking them for damage and/or loose wires. Look for burn marks. Do this with the breaker OFF, and make sure to use your outlet tester to make sure there's no power at the outlets you're working on.

You might want to invest in a cheap voltmeter. Analogs (nondigitals) are fine for the price. Just make sure they can measure up to 240vAC. They usually come with Resistance capability too, which is good. A digital voltmeter with a clamp on ammeter is the best, imo, cause we can check with ease how much Current is flowing in a circuit.

If you don't get this solved tonight, don't worry, others will be in here later to help out, and hopefully, give you more precise instructions.

Good luck, my sorry butt is off to bed.

Tags
breaker help, dead outlets