Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #1

Share |
Question

breaker keeps tripping

I have a 10 amp circuit which runs a small outdoor fountain and some low voltage lighting in my backyard. The electrical work/installation was done about 18 months ago, and there has never been a problem. Two days ago I woke up and noticed the fountain wasn't working. I went downstairs and re-set the breaker, and the fountain worked fine for about 15 minutes, then it went off. I unplugged the transformer for the lighting, leaving only the fountain on the circuit, and re-set the breaker. It worked fine for 15 minutes, then tripped again. Two more re-sets, and again the fountain worked fine for 15 minutes, then tripped.

I should mention that I heard thunder the evening before I discovered this problem. Getting to the pump/wiring, etc. for the fountain will be a big challenge as it is heavy, solidly installed, and wiring is all under cement....is it likely the breaker could have just gone bad (perhaps as a result of the electrical storm?) I'd be much happier than if the pump on the fountain was somehow damaged! thanks for your help.

mike196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
I=E/R

breaker keeps tripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike196 View Post
I have a 10 amp circuit which runs a small outdoor fountain and some low voltage lighting in my backyard.
Anything is possible, it looks like only a couple repair options exist.
Do you know what size motor is on the pump? Maybe you just have a slight drag and the motor is causing a slightly increased current draw, but you may need a clamp on amp meter to tell. A faulty breaker is always a possibility. Do you know what size wire was pulled to the pump and was it placed in conduit?

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #3

breaker keeps tripping

not sure of what size wire was pulled, but it was absolutely in conduit, done by a licensed electrician w/permit, inspection, etc. It has been absolutely fine for 18 months, and I'm not sure this is a coincidence right after the electrical storm. The fact that it doesn't trip immediately, but rather 15 minutes after reset is interesting. Guess I can replace the breaker first, and diagnose from there. thanks!
mike196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #4

breaker keeps tripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike196 View Post
is it likely the breaker could have just gone bad (perhaps as a result of the electrical storm?) I'd be much happier than if the pump on the fountain was somehow damaged! thanks for your help.
I'd think breakers are hardier than motors.
A clamp-on ammeter measurement will reduce uncertainty as to the source of the problem.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote