Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

breaker issue, need help!!

I have incurred a problem with a 15 amp breaker in my panel. I woke up this morning and the power was out in the master bedroom. When I tried to reset the breaker it would not set. It continued to pop off immediately. I even tried to replace the 15 amp with a 20, and the same thing happened. Before I call an electrician, can anyone give me some ideas, on what the problem might be. I would like to be able to fix it myself, at all possible. Thanks to anyone who can help.

kwal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #2

Something is malfunctioning and drawing more than 20 amps. Put away the 20 amp breaker and put back in the 15 amp breaker but don't turn it on yet. Unplug everything on the circuit, try turning on the breaker. If it trips immediately leave it off and call electrician because you have a short somewhere. If not, try plugging in one appliance at a time by itself and see which is causing the problem.

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #3

That was my worry... I unplugged everything and checked all the switches and outlets, to make sure all the wires were connected correctly. The breaker is still doing the same thing. The problem I have, is the way the house is wired. It was built in 1961 and whoever did the electric, ran it any way he pleased. To have an electrician in here could cost me a small fortune. I was hoping to get lucky and find it myself. Thanks for the input...
kwal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #4

I understand about the small fortune but a wiring short somewhere could easily start a fire. Find an experienced electrician and he should be able to track down the problem pretty rapidly. If you feel comfortable with your electrical skills you could track down the problem area yourself but if you're in the least bit of doubt an experienced electrician is a bargain.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #5

kwal63, logr is erring on the side of safety. If everything has been removed from the circuit and it still trips. Remove and replace (not necessarily with new devices) one "device" (an outlet/switch/fixture) at a time. For example, remove one outlet and re-energize the circuit. Does the breaker trip? Yes? Then the problem is between the breaker and that device. No? Then the opposite is true (further "downstream"). It might be as simple as a nicked wire rubbing against a ground. This is about the same procedure a regular electrician would follow. If you still have a problem call a licensed guy. pete
petey_c is offline   Reply With Quote