Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Breaker Failure

Yesterday I accidentally closed a door on an extension cord. The insulation got damaged and it started sparking. The lights got very dim for several seconds and then the main breaker cut off the power to the entire house. I removed the offending cord and reset the main breaker.

I'm wondering why the breaker to the room wouldn't have blown first (or in addition). Does anyone know?

michaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Breaker Failure

The breaker on the circuit did not trip, because of the type of short you had on the circuit. It was low enough to not trigger the mechanism to trip, but long enough that it caused the Main breaker for that leg to sense that there was enough over current flowing to trip the larger protector of the panel.

Just feel lucky, otherwise you would have burnt the whole structure down, if it also had failed at the main breaker protection device.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,254

Breaker Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
The breaker on the circuit did not trip, because of the type of short you had on the circuit. It was low enough to not trigger the mechanism to trip, but long enough that it caused the Main breaker for that leg to sense that there was enough over current flowing to trip the larger protector of the panel.
Huh?

I would suspect the branch circuit breaker is bad and change it as a precaution.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
electures (09-16-2012), frenchelectrican (09-17-2012), jbfan (09-16-2012), mpoulton (09-16-2012), zappa (09-18-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Breaker Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Huh?

I would suspect the branch circuit breaker is bad and change it as a precaution.
Nope. Seen it happen with Shore power cable from our ship to the shore taps. We would have to physically throw the breaker, because the short would happen at a point, that it would heat the weak point in the jacket sheathing, but still not a high enough short, that it would cause a dead fault.

It is really cool at first when you see it, but a dangerous as hell situation if you let it create a run away situation. You also see this in the real world, when you have failure on POCO lines at the Ceramics. The line will arc and spark, either until a lineman goes out there to throw the switch to kill the line, or it burns itself up causing the line to fail at the arc point.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 09-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,076

Breaker Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Huh?

I've seen entire buildings taken out because someone shorted out a light fixture...
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

Breaker Failure

Can anyone say FPE?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
electures (09-16-2012), mpoulton (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Breaker Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Can anyone say FPE?
Can anyone say Thermal Runaway. Would have nothing to do with FPE, more with Thermal Runaway.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #8

Breaker Failure

My point was FPE's are notorious for not tripping under a bolted fault.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Breaker Failure

What's FPE?
michaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 170

Breaker Failure

What brand of breakers do you have? FPE is an older brand which was known for not tripping under certain conditions. FPE was
federal Pacific Electric Co.

electric
bernie963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,158

Breaker Failure

Quote:
I know what a bolted fault is but I don't know what a dead fault is.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Breaker Failure

Quote:
Assume much. Nothing was stated by the OP as this being a issue with a FPE panel. It does have a lot to do with Thermal Runaway, which the OP experienced.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #13

Breaker Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Assume much. Nothing was stated by the OP as this being a issue with a FPE panel.
I was not assuming anything Greg. I was simply offering an option. I've seen it happen a thousand times.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,068

Breaker Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
Can anyone say FPE?
Or Zinsco. Have seen a 15a hold and the 200a blow. Curious to know what make breaker panel.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Breaker Failure

For the OP http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGd...r%2520safe.pdf Read through this pdf, it kind of explains the differences between Arc Fault & Bolted Fault.

Basically if it was a Arc Fault, the first line of protection, being the Branch Circuit breaker should have tripped first. Due to the nature of the fault, it basically took "Thermal Runaway", due to having a "Bolted" fault, which took longer and was lower than the tripping fail of the breaker mechanism for the first line, the second line being the Main breaker, did its job by finally failing and closing like it should, but not until the damage was done from the first breaker to where you caused the fault.