Breaker Box Wire ? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Breaker box wire ?

Is it ok to remove the circuit breakers for an electric dryer outlet, but keep the wires inside the breaker box if they're covered with electric tape and put against the side where they cannot touch ANYTHING? Nothing bad can happen, right? Besides maybe not being "to code?"

Long story short -- don't use the electric dryer outlet, and want an electric range in place of gas range. But, according to electrician who came today, he couldn't just do this, he'd have to snip the wires to the dryer outlet and is SUPPOSED to remove all traces of the wires to the dryer outlet, but said he could just remove the outlet and then could install the range (and then the amps would be low enough).

I don't want the dryer outlet removed and have to patch over it, etc. The amps were only like 15 over, and #1 I don't use the dryer outlet, and #2 I don't even use the oven on the range, EVER, and I use one burner maybe once every 4 months (no joke). The range is pretty much just for looks. But because of code, I guess he couldn't keep both EVEN though the dryer outlet isn't used? So I removed the breakers for it myself, taped off the wires and put them along the side of the breaker box. The other electrician is coming to give me an estimate tomorrow. I also wiped off where it said, "dryer," so there's no trace of that and it doesn't jack up the estimate because now it's just a simple wiring that goes 10 feet along a straight wall to the breaker box.

But reassure me nothing bad can happen with the unused wires being in there. But also, let me know if this a building code problem. And if an electrician starts the job, opens the box and sees the two mysterious taped off wires, is he going to have a problem? If he even sees them, they're pushed way to the side all by themselves.

Advertisement

jeff716a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,040

Breaker box wire ?

It's totally OK. Not a problem at all. There is no requirement to remove the old wiring, as long as it is being kept in place for possible "future use". And I would be surprised if there's no way to redo the load calculations to make it work out acceptably with the new circuit as well as the old one.

Advertisement

Speedy Petey (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 04:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Breaker box wire ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
It's totally OK. Not a problem at all. There is no requirement to remove the old wiring, as long as it is being kept in place for possible "future use". And I would be surprised if there's no way to redo the load calculations to make it work out acceptably with the new circuit as well as the old one.
Seriously? Phew, that makes me feel, very, very at ease. The electrician was so adamant about how everything related to the dryer outlet had to be removed, and I was so confused, because I was like, "But... I don't use it... so can't we just remove the breakers at least?" He said it didn't matter. According to his calculation (which I don't understand) it would come in at 115 amps and is supposed to only be 100 or something like that total for that side of the breaker? However, again, I don't use it, so I didn't understand why it would be counted in the total amps (it's two 30's), and if it had to be just because it's there, why not just take it out?

I guess I just don't understand building/electric codes, do you by any chance have someplace you could point me so I could see in writing that you can keep old wires in the box? Because the electrician was a nice guy; his estimate had to do with removing the dryer outlet and snipping those wires though, so I have no idea what it would be without doing those extra tasks.

I don't understand loading either, but here's a picture of my breaker box (the two black empty spaces are where I removed the dryer). The dryer outlet had two 30's. From what I've read an electric range needs a 50? Is there any way to just keep everything in there, including the dryer outlet (even though it's not necessary?)

Last edited by jeff716a; 11-27-2012 at 04:17 AM.
jeff716a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Breaker box wire ?

As stated, you don't need the dryer breakers in there.
The electrician can use that space to install the breaker for the range.
I would think twice about using the electrician that was "insistent " on removing that wire.padding the bill comes to mind.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sublime2 For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (11-27-2012), Speedy Petey (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Breaker box wire ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff716a View Post

long story short -- don't use the electric dryer outlet, and want an electric range in place of gas range. But, according to electrician who came today, he couldn't just do this, he'd have to snip the wires to the dryer outlet and is supposed to remove all traces of the wires to the dryer outlet,.......
100% false.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,230

Breaker box wire ?

Just cap the wires with wire nuts. And find another electrician.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,392

Breaker box wire ?

I would not do anything with the dryer circuit, turn the breaker off and leave it. Install the range breaker in spare slots : it looks like you have plenty of spares.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

Breaker box wire ?

I would not do anything with the dryer circuit, turn the breaker off and leave it. Install the range breaker in spare slots : it looks like you have plenty of spares.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
TTW

Rewards Points: 250

Breaker box wire ?

NEC code 725.25
Abandoned cable is identified as a cable that is not terminated at equipment and not identified for future use with a tag
TTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
A "Handy Husband"

Breaker box wire ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTW View Post
NEC code 725.25
Abandoned cable is identified as a cable that is not terminated at equipment and not identified for future use with a tag
Don't understand your point. I am saying don't abandon the circuit, leave it for future reuse. Just turn off the breaker if you don't want to use it.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Breaker box wire ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTW
NEC code 725.25
FYI, Article 725 I believe is only discussing low voltage

Advertisement

mpoulton (11-27-2012)