Breaker Box Replacement - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Breaker Box Replacement

Hi, I bought an older home earlier this year built in 1965, 1283 square foot home that apparently needs some electrical work done among other things.

Here's two pics of the old box:

And one with the cover removed:

The old load center is an GE box and doesn't have a main breaker, so I really have no idea what amperage it is. But due to the rust and corrosion I will have it replaced. I have purchased a new Square-D QO 200-amp load center as I will have my service upgraded. The power company already disconnected the service cables from the house.

In my county we do not have inspectors nor are we required to have permits (unless I was building an addition or structure over 100 sq.ft). I have already bought all of the materials needed for the upgrade, including the meter base and I plan to have that mounted in place of the old breaker panel once its removed.

My question, some of the wiring in the house in the master bedroom has the old rubber insulated NM wire that is frayed--I would think this would be needed to be changed out, no? And, since all of the outlets are 2-prong there are no grounded outlets anywhere in the house. All of the existing wire is NM 14/2 and apparently wired to 20amp breakers.

Any insights would be great.

Advertisement

AVTechMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Breaker Box Replacement

Upgrading the wiring sounds like a good idea. Now that you have all of that space, you could wire each room's outlets to their own breakers. There are many requirements though, be sure to read the nec.

Advertisement

Last edited by rgsgww; 10-22-2008 at 08:21 AM.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote